+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found another rabbit hole!

I'm Tony.

Default Found another rabbit hole!

Last week I attached a 15m cheapo ethernet cable from the router in the living room to my son's PC in his bedroom, so he can become a killer fortnite player!

Surprise, surprise I've spent this last week struggling to understand why my system went from being incredibly moving to become unbearable to listen to.

After a lot of head scratching I finally thought that maybe I should unplug the ethernet cable and voila back came the music.

Just to be sure I plugged it back in and again the sound became unbearable with a loss of bass, a hardening of the sound and high frequency distortion.

Anyway, enter the rabbit hole

I now find myself wondering whether replacing the routers SMPS power supply with something better may also bring some rewards.

Anyone tried this?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Grant.

Might be a damaged/faulty cable. Also how far is the router from socket can have an effect I think.
    Chris (stratmangler) would be your man tho as he works with this stuff for a living.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Not all Ethernet cables are equal.

You may well indeed improve your routers capabilities with a better PSU.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Hi Tony

I use a 7.5m MeiCord Opal ethernet cable from my router to streamer.

It is an excellent cable and has topped a lot of reviews regarding sound quality. You can get it in various lengths (mine cost £100 from MCRU).

I also replaced the SMPS on my router with a low noise linear power supply and I have also "grounded" the router via a USB socket, to an Entreq Silver Minimus grounding box.

These accessories, coupled with the use of a quality ethernet cable, reduce spurious RFI/EMI and noise to maximise the streaming experience.

Well worth investigating IMHO.
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Chris.

The new wonderful digital age, where phones sound worse and routers etc., need upgrading! Good post!
    Chris.

I'm Dave.

Possibly nothing to do with the cable at all. Look at the Ethernet protocols. Actually, to be fai, let’s be clear. Are you using the internet in anyway to source or distribute your music. If not, then you are presumably looking for interference. otherwise you may have introduced jitter into your system.
    Dave

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Possibly nothing to do with the cable at all. Look at the Ethernet protocols. Actually, to be fai, let’s be clear. Are you using the internet in anyway to source or distribute your music. If not, then you are presumably looking for interference. otherwise you may have introduced jitter into your system.
    I'm using the internet to stream Tidal to my Digione Sig to DAC.

I'm begining to think I may have issues with both intereference and possibly jitter as well.

I've just switched everything off in the livingroom apart from the stereo and router and I'm now using the digione via wifi and not ethernet.

I noticed that I have been powering the router via its SMPS connected to an extension lead packed with other wall warts.

I've now connected the router to its own wall socket.

I don't know whether this in any way effects noise in the streamer.

However, doing all this has produced a nice sound without the edge that I recently noticed.

I guess I'll need to have a rethink about the big pile of wall warts powering the TV kit in the living room if this causing interference...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Martin.

I'm struggling to understand how the myriad power supplies suddenly become an issue when you plug an ethernet cable into the router so your son can go online for his game.

If there is anything to look at I'd look at router performance as well as bandwidth in use but even then I'm not convinced :-)

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I'm struggling to understand how the myriad power supplies suddenly become an issue when you plug an ethernet cable into the router so your son can go online for his game.

If there is anything to look at I'd look at router performance as well as bandwidth in use but even then I'm not convinced :-)
    TBF I don't think it does as shortly after unplugging the cable I discovered that the system was till sounding sharp. I guess I convinced myself it was the cable.

However, listening to it now without everything plugged this clearly sounds better.

Unless of course its all in my head which is quite possible...

I'm Tony.

Well this was a really worthwhile exercise. All I've done is move the router's power supply away from the rest of the wall warts and the extension lead and plugged it into its own wall socket. Everything else is plugged back in.

The sound of the system is much improved.

Cheap win...

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast