+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running an MC cartridge into 47K with no added gain

I'm Phil.

Hi again , my speakers are 90db ish and my ming da 805 monoblocks needs 3/4 volume on the tisbury for 70 db lisening level , the valab lcr is the
    current one on ebay , oh sorry i meant cadenza blue . if you set up the valab the same as me dont it give you excesive volume , im also building a dave slagle avc
    and my system seems to like the volume pot open for best sound , but it still depends what ohms your cartridge likes , and my cadenza blue likes 200 ohms , the bronze likes 50 ohms , so it could work with the bronze , phil.
    Last edited by oceanobsession; 27-12-2019 at 16:27.
    Phil.

I'm Mike.

If I remember the MC25 (my friend had one), it had a very healthy output; for a l.o. m/coil, that is. Don't know your amplification ststem, so can't comment further.

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    If I remember the MC25 (my friend had one), it had a very healthy output; for a l.o. m/coil, that is. Don't know your amplification ststem, so can't comment further.
    I think it's not the lowest outputting MC @ 0.5Mv but I've got a VDH Mc One, Shelter 901, Supex 1000, Entre Mc-1 - so will try them all over the weekend and see what happens.
    I have plenty of gain with this but when I run the input into my S-VHS Hifi machine that I use for recording - it doesn't register anything on VU Metres. So, this anomaly must be down to my very sensitive speakers and relatively powerful power amplifier. I bet that a single ended EL84 won't be able to pull it off.

I'm John.

Last night I put The New All Valve MM Phonostage into the home system.

I played the Vienna Mimic, rebuilt Ortofon K'b straight into the New MM Phonostage, and with the inbuilt Pot's wide open on the 845 Mono's, I was getting acceptable night time sound levels, and definitely sound levels that will be suited to most individuals requirements .

I have as a preference a requirement for a little more volume for certain music and day time listening, so I introduced the Slagle AVC, the result was a slight improvement in sound level, as well as a reverting to the sonic signature of the effect of the Slagle that I prefer, the sound signature that has kept the Slagle in the system for some time now .

The Slagle was still a little shy of the Sound Levels I would like to achieve, but possibly now at a level many would refer to as too loud, so it looks like I will be introducing the SUT on occasions in the future, just to achieve the extra sound level.

At present I am in Awe of the New Phonostage, and keeping the signal path free from other devices, will I hope have added to my 'Jaw Hit the Floor' moment with the new experience.
    I am pleased for the info that has prompted me to use this method, and also pleased I can confirm it is working in my system producing very audible sound levels.

I'm martin.

Glad to hear it worked for you. Can you hear improvement in the sound on account of one less component/set of cables in the path?
    I've swapped cartridges and using the Supex 0.2mv. It's working great, but now 1/4 short of the full phono stage output. I've put the load to 200 Ohms again...

I'm John.

I will update on this question you have asked at a later date.
    The Phonostage is Brand New, with Boutique Components, some it is said requiring 500+ hours burn in.
    I promise to give a update on both playbacks methods, Phono Direct into Amp, or AVC > Amp vs SUT > Phonostage.
    It will be a while before I report, but I will update on the New Phonostage, covering the 18 months of Journey to its final fruition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12