+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery power for project ds2 digital

I'm paul.

Default Battery power for project ds2 digital

On Friday I'm getting the project ds2 digital, dac, pre amp and phono stage. A friend has one and I couldn't hear anything wrong with it and as I've sold all my phono stages since using a Sony receiver with built in stage. I want to be able to use a 6L6 valve amp I have and try a mini beast otl I have on loan. So ordered the project and was talking to my mate who is considering upgrading the wall wart power supply. This got me thinking about battery power. The project is 18v so unlikely I could get a lead acid battery of 18v, so three 6v batteries in series would work. Someone suggested lithium and had a preference for it and said I could use an 18v drill battery. Firstly I will run one of my 12v lithium drill batteries low and see if it still shows 12v as with lead acid a 12v car battery will be 14v or more when charged and voltage drops as it discharges. Anyone have experience of battery supplies and any preferences.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Alastair.

18v is tricky. My monoblocks take upto 18V but I have to use 12v LiFePO4 batteries. These are excellent but you are not supposed to run them in series, so that's not much help. There are some LiIon batteries which will do 18v or even 20v but they may be up converting, so not ideal.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm julian.

Hi Paul,
    Speak to Alan/Firebottle - he modified that little LDR pre that you heard with the OTL to battery supply
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    Hi Paul,
    Speak to Alan/Firebottle - he modified that little LDR pre that you heard with the OTL to battery supply
    thanks mate, waiting on the project before I try the otl in the listening room. Tried it in my office set up and then tried the 6P3P ( 6L6) and not much in it. OTL warms the room nice.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    18v is tricky. My monoblocks take upto 18V but I have to use 12v LiFePO4 batteries. These are excellent but you are not supposed to run them in series, so that's not much help. There are some LiIon batteries which will do 18v or even 20v but they may be up converting, so not ideal.

tell me more about LifePo4 batteries, are the made from 3v cells

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    tell me more about LifePo4 batteries, are the made from 3v cells
    LIfePO4 are 3.2v cells but the batteries I am using are sealed so I can only guess there are several sets of cells, each with four in series. You could buy 6 individual 3.2v batteries and string them together which would give you 19.2v.

Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    LIfePO4 are 3.2v cells but the batteries I am using are sealed so I can only guess there are several sets of cells, each with four in series. You could buy 6 individual 3.2v batteries and string them together which would give you 19.2v.

do your packs have some sort of charge controllers because I cannot understand why they can't be used in series when they are so ready configured in parallel and series within the pack. It's conditioning that is the problem and would need to be done differently. The thing with the 3.2v cells is they need to be controlled so they are all balanced.

I'm paul.

I think the simple way forward is 3 x 6v lead acid batteries in series with individual 6v chargers. More than enough amp hours to reduce charging cycles and not have to worry about running them too low. I have experience of air con pcb's failing with mains voltage drops from the grid, so worried about low voltage damaging the project ds2
    Last edited by paulf-2007; 26-12-2019 at 12:33.

I'm Alastair.

Agreed, it is probably the simplest approach and not too expensive. Good luck.

Cheers

Alastair

I'm Grant.

I have the ds2 usb version of the phono. It's very good and can do phono to digital on the fly as well as record etc. Lots of adj via front panel it also a boon.
    I've not explored changing the power tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread