+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valve amp running costs

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Smart meters? Just another layer of things to worry about! It's bad enough that folk angst about getting enough 'likes' on their inane posts!
    When the monitor started flashing red I unplugged it. Obviously we will use more energy in the winter I don't need reminding, just send me the bill.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    It's bad enough that folk angst about getting enough 'likes' on their inane posts!
    snowflake alert
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Indeed they would! Sorry should have specified speakers (63's). Silly of me considering this is an amp thread . . .

Think they consume quite a lot during charge up but once fully charged they are very low on consumption.
    Apart from two house moves, and a couple of power cuts, my Quad 57s have been constantly powered up for the last 45 years. Let's see at 6W per speaker, that's 4733.64 kW hours, which at 12p per unit is just over £568.

Then there are the preamplifiers, phonostages and CDPs which are left on 'standby' when not in use.

But I won't mention my class A power amplifiers - they have a standing (idling) dissipation of 800W. Not only are they switched off when not in use, but are only used in the winter months. Something more efficient is used in summer.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    That's the only factor I consider to be honest. Pre tubes etc could be good for 10,000 hours but output tubes could go in less than 2000.

At least my Quads only cost a penny an hour on tick over . . . .
    I have heard of valve (tube) enthusiasts annually replacing their output valves.
    Barry

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Apart from two house moves, and a couple of power cuts, my Quad 57s have been constantly powered up for the last 45 years. Let's see at 6W per speaker, that's 4733.64 kW hours, which at 12p per unit is just over £568.

Then there are the preamplifiers, phonostages and CDPs which are left on 'standby' when not in use.

But I won't mention my class A power amplifiers - they have a standing (idling) dissipation of 800W. Not only are they switched off when not in use, but are only used in the winter months. Something more efficient is used in summer.
    Never thought i would ever see you buy anyting other than the old Quads you used!

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Never thought i would ever see you buy anyting other than the old Quads you used!
    Oh - I still have a pair of 303s, three (modified) 405s, a pair of 'monoblocked' 405s (modified to Keith Snook Level 3, with vastly improved power supplies), a pair of 510s and a 520f.

The 510s are used in place of the Levinson ML-2s during the summer.
    Barry

I'm Andre.

Saying that i never thought id use 70's Jap gear but would not use anything else now.. You ever use a Qwad 240?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Oh - I still have a pair of 303s, three (modified) 405s, a pair of 'monoblocked' 405s (modified to Keith Snook Level 3, with vastly improved power supplies), a pair of 510s and a 520f.

The 510s are used in place of the Levinson ML-2s during the summer.
    Where are the Quad II's?
    Spendorman

I'm Andre.

Even a dedicated Qwad fan has to admit they are best left turned off.

I'm Alex.

I think they sound wonderful, but my ears are older than yours!
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast