+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Valve amp running costs

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Where are the Quad II's?
    I've had two pairs of Quad IIs at some time or other in my system (fitted with M-O Valve Company KT66s and complete with Quad 22 preamps), but these days the only valve amp I have is a Radford STA15/III (fitted with Mullard Blackburn Road EL34s).
    Barry

I'm Andre.

Way too pipe & slippers for me.. I thought the Leaks were much better but i suppose the QII is a classic design that has a large following

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've had two pairs of Quad IIs at some time or other in my system (fitted with M-O Valve Company KT66s and complete with Quad 22 preamps), but these days the only valve amp I have is a Radford STA15/III (fitted with Mullard Blackburn Road EL34s).
    I had three sets of II/22's, sold two sets, kept one. I also still have Radford, STA25 III, two pairs of 57's here, and a pair of 63's.
    Spendorman

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    You ever use a Qwad 240?
    No, nor am I interested in trying/buying one, despite the fact they had a very short production run so are one of the rarest Quad items.

If I lust after a Quad item, it would probably be a pair of Quad 303A2s: modified 303s with a built-in electronic crossover, with one channel being used for the low frequencies, the other for the high frequencies. Intended for use with the Rogers built BBC LS3/7 speaker, where it is known as the AM8/15.

https://upload.review33.com/images/2...0232153660.jpg
    Last edited by Barry; 06-01-2020 at 01:06.
    Barry

I'm Andre.

What about the BBC spec H/H amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    What about the BBC spec H/H amps?
    Those were to replace the Swisstone Rogers-modified Quad 405. Again this is a dual-channel amplifier fitted with a BBC designed electronic crossover and intended to be used with the Rogers BBC LS5/8 speaker. The amplifier was designated AM8/16.

With Quad (as part of the International Audio Group) having been sold off to the Chang brothers in China, the BBC had to look for a locally sourced product for continuity. They chose HH Electronics as replacements.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234