+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bookshelf speaker recommendations up to £1500

I'm Geoff.

some great prices on Martin Logans https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-Save-%A31000!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Thanks Geoff.

Agree that some very nice savings to be had.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

What's wrong with LS3/5a's?

They would be my recommendation... owned them and loved them...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post

I still have my Rogers LS3/5a's bought new for £150 over 40 years ago. I couldn't bring myself to sell them but in truth the current prices are ridiculous so that they cannot be considered good value for money. Compared to current designs around £1,500 they are dynamically challenged and lack fine detail. Tonally, they are great in the midrange and image well, but that is not enough for me.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

You are probably right about them Geoff... but I thought they had 'something' special about them..

If I needed to get small speakers again they would still be my first choice I think... but luckily I don't
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

You are probably right about them Geoff... but I thought they had 'something' special about them..

If I needed to get small speakers again they would still be my first choice I think... but luckily I don't
    I wonder if you opinion would change if you listened to them directly after your Maggies. I still remember when I first heard a pair of LS3/5a's back in 1977. They were playing a live jazz recording in a cramped hifi shop yet still sounded incredible. However, their tonal qualities and imaging tended to obscure a lack of detail. Having experienced the lightning transients and detail of the Maggies, they might disappoint now.

I'm Lawrence.

I've realised in recent years that my search for ever more detail went hand in hand with my loss of interest in the wider musical picture. It's only recently I've learnt to sit back and not worry about every last ounce of detail, and just let the music take me on a journey like it used to. So my speaker choice is no longer based on getting the highest resolution for the money.

I'm Neil.

Nothing at all as I understand it. Thanks for the suggestion

I'm James.

How about some usher s520's? Relatively cheap compared to your budget but great speakers, mine are not for sale btw
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 29-12-2019 at 17:41.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Gary.

I have two pairs of as new speakers available - Monitor Audio Silver 50 and Dali Oberon 1. But given your budget you almost certainly want something more exotic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast