+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bookshelf speaker recommendations up to £1500

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbox81 View Post
    Thanks Rob. They are lovely looking speakers. A Stereophile article suggests that they are pretty demanding and require a juicy amp to get the best out of them. Just wondering what your experience was of them in this regard?
    I used mine with a Denon PMA-2500NE, which was a great match. Before that I used a Rega Cursa/Maia3 with them which was OK but lacking a bit of control at higher SPLs. Thats really nit-picking though as I could have happily lived with the Rega Pre/Power to be honest.

The 201/2s are certainly the 'Best' hifi speakers I have owned in terms of low distortion, soundstage & Dispersion and just generally balanced presentation.
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Phil.

There is a nice pair of audiosmile kensai at 549 on av forums , cheap for a quality speaker like that
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Lawrence.

Just listening to my Jas Orior Grands, I think the Orior bookshelves would be very nice indeed.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I still have my Rogers LS3/5a's bought new for £150 over 40 years ago. I couldn't bring myself to sell them but in truth the current prices are ridiculous so that they cannot be considered good value for money. Compared to current designs around £1,500 they are dynamically challenged and lack fine detail. Tonally, they are great in the midrange and image well, but that is not enough for me.
    The current prices are, in part, due to the LS3/5a collectors in the Far East.
    Some have over 12 pairs, stacked up in a shelf.
    They compete on eBay ( or wherever ) for rare Chartwells and Rogers, pushing up prices to over £3000 a pair.

I’m not sure they ever listen to them, though...

I'm Neil.

Hey all

Just wanted to say that i eventually decided to go for the DIY option and acquired a pair of Jordan Eikona 2 drivers on Ian's recommendation. Then big bad Covid hit and the Eikona's stayed in the wardrobe for a whole year whilst I dealt with work going crazy, home-schooling kids and life in general. Eventually, however, i managed to get around to the build and having taken just over six months (working a few hours here and there on weekends), i finally finished building a pair of birch ply mini transmission line cabinets for the drivers to sit it and to match my birch ply turntable plinth. Haven't had too much chance to listen to them yet but so far so good. I'll post some pics of the build and the final result when i get a little more time.

Regards (and thanks for the recommendations)

I'm Phil.

Look forward to that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234