+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookshelf speaker recommendations up to £1500

I'm Neil.

Default Bookshelf speaker recommendations up to £1500

Afternoon and seasons greetings to all.

I am in the market for a new pair of speakers and am looking for recommendations so that I can narrow down what is a rather crowded field at this price point and put together a shortlist for demoing. I'm currently running a pair of Q Acoustic 3020 speakers powered by a Forte Audio Model 2 pre and a Croft 7 power amp. I'm a big fan of the 3020s as I think they really punch above their weight and I like the overall sound but I would like a wider and deeper presentation.

Speakers are to be placed on an av unit due to space limitations in a roughly 5m X 4m room and although funds are available up to £1,500, I'm happy to go second hand and to come in below that to free up money for other uses.

I've home demoed the PMC 25.21 and didn't like them (sound was too laid back and preferred the 3020s on a blind test) and am interested in the KEF LS50s and R3s but am slightly concerned that the Croft isn't juicy enough to drive them. Also looking to listen to Martin Logan Motion 15s and the JBL 4306 for something different.

Source is primarily analogue nowadays via a Lenovo GL75 with material ranging from jazz and classic rock to drum and bass to opera.

All suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Neil

I'm Geoff.

I have a pair of the tiny ML Motion 2 speakers in a bedroom system. They are fantastically detailed and dynamic. They excel on vocals and give a lifelike reproduction of real music. Yes, they have limited bass, but that suits me well in a bedroom system. I haven't heard the 15's but they appear to have the same ML ribbon tweeter. Alternatively, you might look at the slightly bigger ML Motion 4i's with a ML subwoofer. They come with a wall mounting attachment which may be useful to you.

I'm Ian.

I'd have a look at these:
    http://www.bkelec.com/Jordan/Refex_7.htm

If you are any good at woodwork you could build a pair even cheaper although these are good value. The Jordan Eikona drivers are full range drivers and with no crossover are easy to drive. They have a very fast, immediate sound and do very decent bass. If you can wait a bit Colin at Jordan is bringing out a new single driver transmission line device in the new year which should be excellent. The floorstander 2 driver TL3 ( https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...dan-Eikona-TL3) has phenomenal bass and I'm sure the new TL will be equally impressive for its size.

I'm Martin.

https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/h...tte10Signature

Proac tablette 10 signature, punch above their price range in my opinion. Forgiving on placement can go up against the wall if you need to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Siting of a sub would be an issue but I had mentioned the Motion 15s because of the ribbon tweeter so good to have some feedback on the ML sound. Also thanks for the suggestions of the Proacs, I'll add them to the list.

I hadn't heard of the Jordans before and whilst I would probably be looking at the BK complete version (in the interest of time and construction - I know their subs are well regarded) I do like the look of the crosslam construction, especially as it would match my turntable plinth.

I'm not too experienced with woodworking but reckon I could knock out something half decent with the jigsaw and router. That being said, getting the slices done with a CNC machine would be a lot easier.

Ian - how much did the CNC work set you back?

I'm Ian.

I can't say exactly as the company I used provided the ply and the CNC work in one price but I'd guess around £80. If you are thinking of going down this route I will probably get the plans for the new TL a little early from Colin and work out a cutting plan and maybe even build a pair so maybe chat after Christmas.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I can't say exactly as the company I used provided the ply and the CNC work in one price but I'd guess around £80. If you are thinking of going down this route I will probably get the plans for the new TL a little early from Colin and work out a cutting plan and maybe even build a pair so maybe chat after Christmas.
    Thanks Ian. I'll have a think about it and let you know. But just shown your TL3s to the missus and she's given the thumbs up which is positive.

I'm Ian.

OK Neil,
    If you fancy coming over for a listen let me know by pm and we'll sort something out.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbox81 View Post
    Thanks Ian. I'll have a think about it and let you know. But just shown your TL3s to the missus and she's given the thumbs up which is positive.
    The TL3s sound amazing Neil, certainly a thumbs up from me.

I have heard some smaller Quadral speakers, the Galan 9 I think, they were also extremely good.
    Good hunting.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The TL3s sound amazing Neil, certainly a thumbs up from me.

I have heard some smaller Quadral speakers, the Galan 9 I think, they were also extremely good.
    Good hunting.
    Thanks Alan.

Think the Galan 9 might just about squeeze in if second hand or ex-demo but see that Quadral have a couple of other models in the desired price bracket so will definitely add them onto the list

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast