+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back on Track after long sickness. Hi-Fi is life

I'm Ati.

Default Back on Track after long sickness. Hi-Fi is life

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I had to stop my favorite hobby two years ago as a nasty sickness had a grip on me. Among other things caused temporary hearing loss on my left ear as well. I have sold everything as I wasn't sure if I ever recover. However I have recovered fully a few months ago, so it is time to build a new system.

I had a very good system before sickness got me (Kharma Ceramique 3.0 floor standing speakers, Esoteric AI-10 DAC/Integrated amp, PC, Chord Chordette DAC/Interface, Kenwood KD-7010 Turntable, Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk battery powered MM/MC phono stage, lots of cartridge, MIT cables)
    I was very happy with the main components in this system. They've gone.

Now it is time to build a new system that is more sophisticated on the digital end, eg.: Streamer, DAC with more feature and a bit sparing money on the speakers end. Also during the past years moved house, have smaller listening room than ever before. Therefore small monitor speakers with added sub woofers more ideal right now.

I thought the biggest challenge will be the speakers. You may ask why? Because I have maximized the price of the speakers around £800. I have also set a goal and list of requirements, the speakers have to comply with. Requirements: Acoustically dead speaker box material, Exotic drivers, High quality stands, Must please me when I go for a test listen, parts available. Well, I started looking about 3 months ago. Found it surprisingly within 3-4 weeks. Cost £275 included original stands.

Ended up with the Infinity Modulus: Epoxy Resin - Glass fiber and other secretly added agents sealed speaker box, Injection molded Graphite woofer, Electromagnetic induction tweeter.
    Not long ago I have managed to get a two Infinity Servo controlled Sub woofer with the 10 inches Injection molded graphite woofers. So, a 2.2 sub-sat system is ready. Stands now filled up with sand for better vibration absorption.

There were only a very very limited number of speakers and brands those fit to the above requirements. One of them was a Tag McLaren Calliope small monitor, went for £400 on Ebay same time I have found my Infinity Modulus. My only concern with the Tag McLaren was the drivers. I think Quad 12L is using the same drivers. Not bad, but nothing special and no exotic materials in it at all. I had the 12L in the past BTW.

I would like to buy a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge unit, that could reduce boxes in room. Sophisticated little unit with even built in MM/MC stage. However I do not have the fund yet. Hopefully other companies are coming out ASAP with versatile front end unit just like Brooklyn Bridge.

I have imported a Luxman PD-131 turntable from Japan freshly with a Denon DA-790 arm and Technics EPC 205C mk 3 cartridge and a spare cartridge just in case, which is my old favorite a Victor U-1E. So, analog end is OK.

I have some cables mainly Cardas and I have purchased a very powerful vintage Kenwood power amplifier ( Basic M-1D 2x 180Watt/4 Ohm) until I get the Mytek power amp. Yes, I am building a Kallax sized Hi-Fi system. Every single square inch counts.

Also will need a TT wall console. This will be a D.I.Y. console made by me.

Well, that's it so far. Saving up now.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Gary.

Hi Ati, good to have you back!

Sounds like you have a focussed plan on where you want to go, may it all work out the way you want.
    Nice speakers, more pictures please when you can.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Ati.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Ati, good to have you back!

Sounds like you have a focussed plan on where you want to go, may it all work out the way you want.
    Nice speakers, more pictures please when you can.
    Thank you Sir! Yes, you are right. I have a very well planned way to build my new system. The sound signature I am looking for is outlined and formed at least 10 years ago and this thing, let's call it "sonic ideology" or "M.T.E.E. (my taste, experience and expectation)" shows me the right way. This road is very narrow and not much possibilities. Especially because I have a certain budget. But the same time minimizing disappointment rate and reaching finish faster with no unnecessary time wasting on equipment. Plus I like Challanges

Thanks again the compliments.
    Will make more pics.

I'm Timothy.

Firstly, glad you are feeling well again, and especially the hearing is back, that is what is important! As to rebuilding, your Infinitiy Modulus are fun little setups! I always liked them, haven’t heard a pair now for quite sometime though, as they are-or seemingly-getting more rare as time goes along! Have fun!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Phil.

welcome ati , and what a wonderful thing your hearing has improved . money can`t buy that joy !
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ati.

Cheers Guys! Marry Christmas to all T.A.O.S. member!

I'm Ati.

Infinity Modulus sub-sat system in ambient light
    (hand made diffusor panel with RGB LED backlit)

I'm Ati.

A month ago...

I'm Ati.

A new addition to the Analog line...
    SONY PS-X60 and very soon arrives a bigger brother a PS-X70. Want to test them side by side, find out how much is the different sonically.

I'm Andre.

Nice looking deck that. I like quite a few old Sony's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast