+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fitting Nima tonearm

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Well, at least it can be fixed, but a £100 for being clumsy is hard to swallow, plus p&p, still, my own fault.
    I don't think you have been particularly clumsy. The few Nimas I have fitted have been a pain and in use have developed little, annoying problems, which shouldn't happen. They don't have a nice 'feel'.

Forum types often have a dig at Rega but their arms are robust, easy to set up, stay set up and perform perfectly for year after year. I know which I would rather use.

I'm Mike.

J7 will rewire the arm without too much pain to my pocket, 2-3 week wait.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Tonearm back from Johnie J7, very quick, he pointed out the weird use of ribbon printed cable as the original stock internal wiring! Replaced with cardas at £80, and only £5 postage. Look forward to fitting it now.

IMG_20200206_190338622_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adam.

Reading this thread with slight puzzlement.

The Nima is actually a very fine arm for something under £500. It really lets the music just come through.

It's flimsy because that's what unipiviots generally feel like in use. If you haven't used one before they do take a while getting used to it.
    Use the arm lift! Cueing by hand (especially after a jar) will inevitably lead to you kicking the cat!

As Chris said, if you invest in a Tiger Paw counter weight it allows the counter weight to sit nearer the pivot point and
    is a good improvement in handling and SQ.

The comment about poor British craftsmanship, I just don't get IMO. It's a non obtrusive instrument to extract the music..Simple.
    Obviously that was a mistake to mess with the screw on top of the pivot housing.

I swapped a Nima directly over with a very lovely but rather more expensive Naim Aro, and whilst the Aro was 'better' in handling and music repro,
    there wasn't a huge amount in it..and I could have easily lived with the Nima a lot longer.

I did find the external Roksan High Res cable a big improvement, but I see you have already tried to address that with a Yanis cable.
    IMHO, I think the Roksan upgraded cable is worth seeking out when finds allow..

For what it costs, I think once you are up and running you will be impressed.

Which cartridge are you going to use with this?, obviously synergy being important to end result.
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 07-02-2020 at 10:02.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Reading this thread with slight puzzlement.

The Nima is actually a very fine arm for something under £500. It really lets the music just come through.

It's flimsy because that's what unipiviots generally feel like in use. If you haven't used one before they do take a while getting used to it.
    Use the arm lift! Cueing by hand (especially after a jar) will inevitably lead to you kicking the cat!

As Chris said, if you invest in a Tiger Paw counter weight it allows the counter weight to sit nearer the pivot point and
    is a good improvement in handling and SQ.

The comment about poor British craftsmanship, I just don't get IMO. It's a non obtrusive instrument to extract the music..Simple.
    Obviously that was a mistake to mess with the screw on top of the pivot housing.

I swapped a Nima directly over with a very lovely but rather more expensive Naim Aro, and whilst the Aro was 'better' in handling and music repro,
    there wasn't a huge amount in it..and I could have easily lived with the Nima a lot longer.

I did find the external Roksan High Res cable a big improvement, but I see you have already tried to address that with a Yanis cable.
    IMHO, I think the Roksan upgraded cable is worth seeking out when finds allow..

For what it costs, I think once you are up and running you will be impressed.

Which cartridge are you going to use with this?, obviously synergy being important to end result.
    Thanks Adam, I am a bit impatient at times, and I need to understand more the delicate nature of turntables, in a word, I'm an idiot. I'm going to be using my Nag MP200 with this, hope that's a good match! On a NAS Interspace TT. The instructions on the Roksan website for the Nima were a bit vague in parts, so that didn't help, they need to make them idiot proof.

I'm Mike.

All done now, of course there was a hitch.... I forgot to plug in the tonearm cable! So had to redo vta, but actually once I'd done all the other stuff it was quite easy. One thing that surprised me was how turning the counterweight actually sets the azimuth very effectively, just the slightest twist and it comes good. I'll see how I get in with it over time as I've heard the weight setting can drift, and sound wise its so hard to compare as I havent' had my NAS set up for quite some time and now using it with a different amp as well, so will be a few weeks until I can appreciate its qualities.

IMG_20200209_191740318_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

IMG_20200209_191651821_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

IMG_20200209_191606745_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234