+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Forever Endgame Speaker?

I'm Deleted.

@ Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5s - A very interesting speaker given its construction, Linaeum style tweeter and extremely minimalist crossover.

————

I’m afraid none of Harbeth’s speakers would even make my top ten (despite some being excellent speakers).
    Account Deleted

I'm steve.

My endgame speakers are the ones currently in my living room, not mega expensive but the best balance in the room, Q Acoustics Concept 40s, if I had unlimited funds and a bigger room that would handle them then it would be the Concept 500s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Robert.

Hard to say as I'd want to hear a few in my own system (Never easy I know)

But, I do have a hankering for the bigger brother to my Spendor D7s, the D9 one day.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Deleted.

I really liked these too when I heard them:

YG Acoustics Sonja 1.3
    Account Deleted

I'm Dennis.

I've been tussling with this for a long time, and as well as agonising, and spending a lot of money and time in a frenetic attempt to get a final resolution.

I Had Tannoy 15" Gold Lancasters from '71 to '85, when I bought some ESS Monitors and rebuilt them - much time and money.
    Then I got the idea that accuracy was the important thing and bought a pair of ATC S50s second hand, which I never really liked, and then changed to the ATC Mk 1 SCM 50A. All my associate telecoms engineers said that I was going backwards.

Then I changed to ATC SCM50 Mk 2, better, but in a new house and room they were lost, so I changed to SCM100s. Still not happy with 'lack of air', I rebuilt them, two months and £1k, and they were better; Bill Woodman asked me to provide an account of my work which I did.

Still Yearning fore the Heil airiness, I bought a pair of ESS AMT 1bs in '02, and rebuilt them to to AMT1d spec. Happy with Late Junction for a few years, but the accuracy thing got the better of me, and I decided to change the mid/woofer for the BBC LS 5/8 one, rebuild the cabinets, and redesign the Xovers. More accurate, but I was still in doubt, not able to measure the results which were based on numerous calculations.

In Oct '16 I went 'out on a limb' and bought a pair of ADAM Tensor Gammas, very good but odd bass in my room, and I sold them to a guy on AoS. I then won a legal case and bought a pair of the Betas which I now have and am still evaluating and questioning. They produce the widest range of SQ with material of any speaker I have had. Speech quality from broadcasts is now so variable that much is unintelligible. I considered buying the Alphas.

So I have been considering Blades and Revel Salon2s. Friends say that what I have is as good as can be done for the money, and the hassle of changing and trying is a mentally exhausting thought, let alone the activity itself.

I have come to the conclusion that we have golden/perfect moments in our auditory experience, usually when we have a revolutionary, (to us) breakthrough, and that we try to keep that going, but it is a rare thing, and also affected by cultural events.

When Hi-Fi was in its real growth phase, the music was not only poignant, and for a wide section of the population, but also used the increased resolution as a part of the art, so it was revelatory. No we get almost everything resolution wise, and IMO the art generally is poor. So it was an age and time of renaissance, not to be regained.

There are a lot of speakers out there, especially up to £30k, but above that price the jewellery factor comes in very much, and also a large number of very competent speakers below that price point.

I'm sorted.

Quite content with these babies

I'm paul.

Have mine in my room, well the drivers for sure, the cabinet design could change if I had a bigger room. The only other speaker itch I have is for rullit field coils, so if I had money to waste I would give them a try.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Quite content with these babies

Snap, I love my pair too.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Hibster_2000 Guest

I am not sure what my end game speaker is.
    I would want something that does scale and dynamics in an epic way, but conveys the softer passages as well.

My listening room will change when Inretire, and I will assess new speakers at that point of my life.

I'm Tony.

Coming next year with the TAD reference range
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast