+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lift a couple of ideas from AudioKarma?

Default Lift a couple of ideas from AudioKarma?

Well three actually. Would it be practical to add the following to The Art Of Sounds existing threads?

1). Classifieds. Buy/sell/swop. Available to all members for a fee. Fees to go toward the running costs of the site.
    2). Anybody needing something picked up and delivered posts details here. It would be up to the people involved to come to whatever private arrangements suited both parties as to cost etc. Personally, if I bought an amp or a pair of speakers down South, I'd far rather pay someone who knows how to handle them to bring them as close to me as possible, than have a general carrier drop test them.
    3). Pounds and Pennies. If you see something you don't want yourself but could be a good deal for anyone local to the seller, post the details here.

In all of the above, Art Of Sound would make it clear that it's just a notice board and not liable for any screwups. As to the work involved, AudioKarma has the above sections. I don't know whether whoever runs AK would be happy with wholesale lifting of format but if they were asked nicely, I don't see why not. It's not as if these forums compete with each other, is it.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Some nice ideas there chap, keep them coming!

1). We already have two separate areas of classifieds. We have Private Exhibitions for non-trade sales / wanted and we have Trade Inspirations which is the sales section for trade members. Both are free to use.

2). & 3). These can both be placed in the Blank Canvas section which is for anything at all to do with hi-fi. If it's not hi-fi then there's the Off Topic Arena at the bottom of the forum which is ideal for everything else.

Granted the latter is not a specific answer, but we feel there's enough sections to cover everything we can think of without going well overboard. If there's too many separate forums people get bored of trawling through all the different sections, also it causes confusion as lots of people end up posting things in the wrong section and it becomes difficult to find something when required.

Marco & Steve - any comments?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Some nice ideas there chap, keep them coming!

1). We already have two separate areas of classifieds. We have Private Exhibitions for non-trade sales / wanted and we have Trade Inspirations which is the sales section for trade members. Both are free to use.

2). & 3). These can both be placed in the Blank Canvas section which is for anything at all to do with hi-fi. If it's not hi-fi then there's the Off Topic Arena at the bottom of the forum which is ideal for everything else.

Granted the latter is not a specific answer, but we feel there's enough sections to cover everything we can think of without going well overboard. If there's too many separate forums people get bored of trawling through all the different sections, also it causes confusion as lots of people end up posting things in the wrong section and it becomes difficult to find something when required.

Marco & Steve - any comments?

I blush with stupidity; didn't realise you had trade and private sales covered As to pick up and drop off, I guess if it was tried in Blank Canvas and a consistant demand was found, then you could perhaps look at it again but I take your point about too many seperate threads.

Oh Well, I'll go down the garden and eat worms; maybe I'll come back a better person

Quote Originally Posted by combwork View Post
    I blush with stupidity; didn't realise you had trade and private sales covered As to pick up and drop off, I guess if it was tried in Blank Canvas and a consistant demand was found, then you could perhaps look at it again but I take your point about too many seperate threads.

Oh Well, I'll go down the garden and eat worms; maybe I'll come back a better person
    I tried that trick and it didn't help much. They do go down easier with a glass of ale though...

I'm Mike.

Default The Diet of Worms (Martin Luther, 15th century (?????))

Oh Well, I'll go down the garden and eat worms; maybe I'll come back a better person[/QUOTE]

This is a pursuit for bird-brains only; quite sure you don't qualify!

That idea of an ad-hoc courier service is a good one. Cannot think how it could be implemented, though, as you'd need forum members from many different regions who travel a lot on business (as no-one can afford to travel for pleasure nowadays, surely!), and transactions where there's no time limitation for both seller and buyer.

As Rob says, nothing lost by trying it out when the occasion arises. I would certainly be tempted, except that nobody ever comes to Norwich. Not even Rob! (chuckle chuckle)

I charge according to standard meter rates set by my local council for courier work from the pick-up point to destination provided the journey passes near to where I am based. Otherwise the fare is calculated as being half the round-trip distance I would need to undertake from Base. The rates are as follows: the first mile is £2.10 and subsequent miles are £1.30 each. There is a 50% surcharge for hirings commencing between midnight and 7 am and all day on Bank Holidays.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by combwork View Post
    As to pick up and drop off, I guess if it was tried in Blank Canvas and a consistant demand was found, then you could perhaps look at it again but I take your point about too many seperate threads.
    If that becomes the case then we can soon add it in.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread