+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Upgrades!

I'm Chris.

Default Power Upgrades!

Been doing some upgrades to my power setup.

First in is an 8 way Schuko plug mains block. Half the outlets are filtered half are direct so useful for seeing which components benefit from it or not. My experience is usually DAC's/Streamers/digital sources = filtered. Power amps/Phono stages/Turntables = unfiltered, but there are times the opposite has sounded better. All about trying it though.

IMAG2306.jpg

I have made a load of cables with Schuko plugs and rhodium plated IEC connectors. They are made with Belden 19364 cable (with RFI drain wire) and some black braid sheath with blue shrink wrap. I'm well happy with how they look to be honest.

IMAG2307.jpg

A wired Schuko plug, Better than the UK 3 pin. The design does away with any fuses. The connectors are solid and can be connected to L&N with more contact area from the wire. The layout is more logical and way less stress on the cables. The design of the earth also makes a lot more sense and means the plug can be inserted into an outlet either way (although all mine will be orientated the same way!).

IMAG2305.jpg

Better connectors, less fuses (8 less!!). Probably the best upgrade I've made to the whole system. Just sounds better, way better.

Cheers.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm julian.

Hi Chris,
    looks good, i tend to run Schuko for the same reasons. Any pics of the RFI drain wire ?
    Best,
    Julian
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Chris.

Hi Julian,

yes here are some pics illustrating the drain wire.

Its basically a wire of maybe 16awg running the length of the cable wrapped in a foil sheath.

Here is the foil unwrapped from the cable:

IMAG2312.jpg

A pic of the drain wire connected to earth (runs parallel to it) in a Schuko plug and then in a UK plug which is easier to see. The wire then meets the foil where the outer sheath starts just before the strain relief:

IMAG2313.jpg

IMAG2314.jpg

If you like I can send you a Schuko or UK terminated cable to try, I've made quite a few!

The Belden cable used is basically as good as its going to get south of £30 per meter.

Let me know,

cheers

Chris
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

Hibster_2000 Guest

Schuko may be better, but I do not believe that they meet BS standards.
    Please be aware of this, as if there are any problems, they will invalidate your insurance etc.

But yes, they do sound much better.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    Schuko may be better, but I do not believe that they meet BS standards.
    Please be aware of this, as if there are any problems, they will invalidate your insurance etc.

But yes, they do sound much better.
    Agreed Kev, thanks for the input.

Certainly wouldn't want anyone potentially voiding insurance policies. As I'm not a business I doubt I'd be liable but certainly worth mentioning all the same.

It is amazing the difference they make though.

I think my home insurance guys might have a heart attack if they saw my listening room. Not that its unsafe but I doubt they'll be expecting giant power amps and many glowing tubes of various sizes . . . .

I'm Chris.

In addition to the stated above the mains block outlet I use is fused internally (15A) as well as running a power cable to it from my mains wall outlet with a standard UK 3-pin plug with 13A fuse.

The setup is also on its own spur with RCD protection. I haven't got a death wish as such!

Hibster_2000 Guest

That sounds pretty safe to me, and very similar to my setup, except I have hard wired the extension block in to the wall, using something similar to a cooker point.

I'm Deleted.

Hi Chris, nice job .

I did something similar but hard wired all the cables together to make, what is known as, a Hydra.

Inside the box all the cables are twisted together into individual groups, then soldered, then wrapped tightly with electrical insulation tape and finally the whole thing is fully potted with electrical potting compound. The pic below was taken half way through the potting process:

I used the same cable you did.
    Account Deleted

I'm Chris.

Mark, that's awesome looking.

Like Neo being extracted to the "real" world.

I've heard about the hydra before (and not just in year 6 Greek Mythology). It's definitely next level stuff.

I like the idea of it being in a wooden box too. I use a heavy gauge power cord to the inlet of the mains block. A real pain to terminate but industrial grade.

I think I've opened a slightly inquisitive rabbit-hole in my mind of how power can affect things (or removing all bottle necks to improve it anyway!).

Good to know there's guys out there already where I want to go.

Nice one.

I'm Deleted.

Thanks Chris . Yes, the black epoxy reason does look funky! It all looks a bit untidy but that’s because of the sheer quantity of thick cabling involved - it’s all completely insulated and electrically safe.

I also used a thicker gauge input cable, also Belden. Oddly, although the diameter of the conductors is greater the overall cable is thinner, because of the much thinner Teflon insulation used. It’s also very much stiffer!
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast