+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Upgrades!

I'm Grant.

looks tidy to me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Good work Chris, looks very tidy.
    Well worthwhile improving the power side of things.

Been down this rabbit hole myself:
    The main system is powered from a hardwired Balanced mains transformer, feeding a Schuko mains block, all schuko cables to the bits of kit.

The mains block is fed from a UK 3 pin socket fed by the balanced mains, and a UK fused cable, so insurance box ticked.

The BMU on the other hand...know what you meant when they come in and see glowing valves and the like... ☺️
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Good work Chris, looks very tidy.

The main system is powered from a hardwired Balanced mains transformer, feeding a Schuko mains block, all schuko cables to the bits of kit.
    Thanks Gazjam, I do fancy getting a mains re-generator at some point but I'm not sure my system quite justifies it (yet) . . . Although its pretty much a guaranteed improvement.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Karl.

Default Power Upgrades!

This all looks great Chris and im glad to hear that its made positive improvements to the setup.

This has been the only part of my system that i haven’t bought into until last week when i took the plunge on a Merlin Scorpion 6 way mains block which is star wired, HCT cores and NAS noise reducing system etc etc. i also had made up some cables using some of the good quality MCRU cable and plugs.

Unfortunately im without a TT at the minute as ive sold the Linn and am in the final stages of putting together the new Garrard project so its looking like early feb before i get the chance to see what, if any improvements it will bring. The waiting is torture.

Anyway hope you had a good xmas and new year and are still enjoying the new cables

Cheers

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm stuart.

Chris

Just a couple of points about your plugs. You should use a piece of insulation sheath (or heatshrink) on the drain wire, it really shouldn't be bare like that all the way back to the clamping point. Then use a bit of heatshrink to cover the joint at the cores/sheath. Also, you should be clamping the outer sheath of the cable not the cores, here's a link to show
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Chris

Just a couple of points about your plugs. You should use a piece of insulation sheath (or heatshrink) on the drain wire, it really shouldn't be bare like that all the way back to the clamping point. Then use a bit of heatshrink to cover the joint at the cores/sheath. Also, you should be clamping the outer sheath of the cable not the cores, here's a link to show
    Hi Stuart,

thanks for your suggestion there. The UK plug in the picture was a much older photo and only taken to illustrate where the drain wire was, on my other plugs they are heat-shrink-ed. (I've refined my method somewhat for sure!).

In the schuko plugs the layout is much better (as illustrated in the first schuko plug picture) and means that the drain wire can be put a lot further away from L&N. The outer sheath is also easier to align and ensure proper strain relief.

Cheers
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    This all looks great Chris and im glad to hear that its made positive improvements to the setup.

This has been the only part of my system that i haven’t bought into until last week when i took the plunge on a Merlin Scorpion 6 way mains block which is star wired, HCT cores and NAS noise reducing system etc etc. i also had made up some cables using some of the good quality MCRU cable and plugs.

Unfortunately im without a TT at the minute as ive sold the Linn and am in the final stages of putting together the new Garrard project so its looking like early feb before i get the chance to see what, if any improvements it will bring. The waiting is torture.

Anyway hope you had a good xmas and new year and are still enjoying the new cables

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,

apologies for late reply, difficult enough catching up on normal work/life communications before I address the more important stuff!

Anyway, Christmas and new year were hectic with a 20 month old but we've emerged the other side so all is well thanks. I'm "still" in the final stages (must be by now!) of a house move so hopefully in a few weeks I will have a new listening area and I can go through all the joys of speaker placement and setup having gotten to a very nice place in my current environment . . . oh well sometimes change is unavoidable and does result in something even better.

Hope the same rings true for your new TT. I still love the sound of my LP12 but for some music my direct drive Audio Technica does seem to do some things better. If I were to reward it with a superior cart and phono stage I think it might better it in more areas . . . .

As for your power upgrades, if you didn't have much in regards to quality plugs/inlets/outlets and RFI filtering in there before it could make a very positive difference. If your mains is good however, it might not do a huge amount to improve things (not sure what the supply is like in Melbourne?!

At the moment I have my power amp coming from my "direct" outlet on my Schuko plug mains block and the pre-amp/DAC on the filtered outlets. It's the best combination for me but experimentation is needed as ever due to everyone's equipment/mains/environment being slightly different.

Hope the anticipation is worth the wait on your new TT. Looking forward to some pics and a report!

Cheers,

Chris

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hi Karl,

apologies for late reply, difficult enough catching up on normal work/life communications before I address the more important stuff!

Anyway, Christmas and new year were hectic with a 20 month old but we've emerged the other side so all is well thanks. I'm "still" in the final stages (must be by now!) of a house move so hopefully in a few weeks I will have a new listening area and I can go through all the joys of speaker placement and setup having gotten to a very nice place in my current environment . . . oh well sometimes change is unavoidable and does result in something even better.

Hope the same rings true for your new TT. I still love the sound of my LP12 but for some music my direct drive Audio Technica does seem to do some things better. If I were to reward it with a superior cart and phono stage I think it might better it in more areas . . . .

As for your power upgrades, if you didn't have much in regards to quality plugs/inlets/outlets and RFI filtering in there before it could make a very positive difference. If your mains is good however, it might not do a huge amount to improve things (not sure what the supply is like in Melbourne?!

At the moment I have my power amp coming from my "direct" outlet on my Schuko plug mains block and the pre-amp/DAC on the filtered outlets. It's the best combination for me but experimentation is needed as ever due to everyone's equipment/mains/environment being slightly different.

Hope the anticipation is worth the wait on your new TT. Looking forward to some pics and a report!

Cheers,

Chris
    No worries mate its been a busy period for all of us by the sound of things.

Weve just done the dreaded house move ourselves so i feel your pain there. Bloody hate it. I wont be doing it again for a while thats for sure. Thats my 4th move in as many years so well and truly over it.

Ive since borrowed a rega rp6 for the time being and have had to move the setup around to try in a couple of different rooms as i couldnt seem to get it sounding as good as in my last place. Maybe its the new rooms maybe its the Rega? Im guessing the rega is the culprit as the room size ,floors etc are all very similar as my last house . Maybe ive just become a bit of a snobby bastard with the souped up linn as the rega just isnt quite cutting it for me and definitely doesnt dig as deep. Hopefully i will be back on top and happy with the sound once i finish this new project and experiment with positioning and the new cables and mains block.

Im not expecting it to be night and day with the new cables and block in the rig but a bit of a quieter background and a more fine detail (which is what they claim) would be a bonus as at this stage in the game the improvements are few and far between so every little helps.

Regarding the new noisemaker... Ive just had the news that the new chassis has been painted now so the TT is very close to being done. Im just waiting on the plinth now which is a little behind schedule. Realistically I’m looking at sometime in feb for completion so I’m very grateful that the father in law has let me use his old spinner to keep me going.

I shall indeed post some pics and info once its all up and running.

Cheers

Karl

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12