Thread: Uptone audio Etherregen review

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...2/#post-279746

For those interested in how this device measures
    Good call.

I'm Robin.

Are these switches irrelevant if using Wi-Fi from the router to the streamer from which I listen to Qobuz?
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Neal.

Yes
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Cheaper to use Wi-Fi then certainly. I used to cable network everything, but transmission over Wi-Fi is so quick and stable these days, particularly with 802.11ac, that I just can’t be bothered. Why add a further interference source that then has to be remedied at great expense?

I'm Martin.

Which is best wifi or ethernet ? Answer is it depends , you really have to try both. My system sounded better with ethernet off the bat, and improved with this switch.

Once hardwired (ethernet)in my DAC the software disables wifi processing components.

This article has some additional info into the factors at play.

https://darko.audio/2018/08/ethernet...dio-streaming/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

arh yes the agenda boy amir a source of great amusement using staunch measurement perspectives (nothing wrong with this approach, I use it myself, BUT it is how you interpret the data and present that is the key) with a group of hard core fan boys ready to hang off his every word and savage anyone who dares question the master of data acquisition

First up I have no connection nor do I sell the products or with either the designer J Swanson have had been involved in a few on line threads that he has contributed to and feel some of his ideas are a bit left field shall we say.

However he is a sound electronics engineer and most of his principles are correct same for us all

Ok lets talk about measuring said device, first up what is its claim and what possible effect can it have on the end result if any?

It purpose is to take the incoming Ethernet data stream and using various software and hardware methods 'iron out' / re-clock and condition the incoming data stream before sending it out 'freshly cleaned'.

So what would we genuinely need to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that this particular devices actual performs to its claimed purpose?

Very simple a protocol analysis device specifically tailored to measure all aspects of Ethernet traffic parameters they are a few devices on the market that can do this and a Audio precision AP555x is NOT one of them (It is a mighty fine device for many audio measurement applications both analogue and digital, I have a Rohde & Schwarz equivalent device called a UPV the same one Noel @ Hifi World uses)

However for looking at differences between Ethernet data streams you would need a more suitable piece of equipment

They are a few different Ethernet protocol standards to look at as well.

For example a quality high bandwidth oscilloscope, with a large sample rate and deep memory acquisition ability and the software to interpret the results, for capturing before and after signals, there are many quality test equipment manufacturers that provide such scopes.

You could also use a network analyzer as well or a dedicated specific Ethernet protocol analyzer to.

We use a Lecroy Wavepro HD scope it has the ability to interrogate Ethernet signals to a very high standard and record the results.

Ethernet testing equipment

Applications required for this task

So to actually measure said parameter is not difficult, this will deliver quantifiable results of any measurable variations between incoming and outgoing data transmission lines.

So lets take a step back into the real world and perform these specific tests specifically for purpose in hand.

Also I will make the observation that sometimes you can measure all you want, yet still find audible differences that you can not seem to find even with quality equipment, YET these are clearly audible WITHOUT Psychoacoustic influences, so you are then faced with this conundrum 'If you have looked at all possible logical probabilities and have found nothing, then you have to start looking at the illogical' So it could be a case of what do I really need to look at?

Now the asr hard core zealots will defend their position with BUT you can measure upstream differences with an audio analyzer, this is also true (I do this almost daily when designing new audio products along with many other parameters which are no audio analyzer related) however you need to examine the WHOLE picture not just selected areas of interest before declaring the device total hogwash.

Yes I have looked at the above device mentioned and I can measure repeatable differences with these devices and when they have been improved with various power supplies and and external 10M clock added also

I am fortunate enough to be able to check audio (and non audio) equipment to a very high standard and when something piques my interest I will put my hand in my pocket and purchase one then see if it actually makes any difference at all.

The device manufacturer would improve their standing with the hard core measurement community squad 'if its not within 0.0000001% of a gnat's chuff then its shite mate'.

They could actually publish some independent (Non asr acquired data lol) Ethernet standard testing before and after figures? just my 2p worth.

Mr.C
    Last edited by Mr. C; 21-09-2020 at 09:33.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Martin.

The ASR methodology is to measure the output of the DAC, put the Ethergen into the system, and then measure the output of the DAC again to see if the output had changed with the Ethergen doing its thing. There was no change in the output from the DAC, so the conclusion was that, whatever it may be doing upstream, it doesn't make any difference to the signal exiting the DAC and will therefore have no impact on sound quality.

This is all explained in the review and is expanded on in the subsequent thread.

Seems perfectly logical to me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Seems perfectly logical to me.
    As it would to the vast majority of the individuals reading the piece. Personally I have not set this test up in the lab, but have no issue in doing so.

This then leads us to if nothing is seen in the audio band meas parameters (20Hz-20Khz) then what else could be happening or it can't surely?

Like I mentioned before I do not sell them or have anything to do with the manufacturer Martin, so I like to find out for myself as to; does it do what it claims.
    Being in a very fortunate position I can do this with many products and genuinely seek answers with the equipment we have available to us.

Now the company has sold many of the units worldwide, and has many happy customers so either they are all placebo effect generating Psychoacoustic illusions with gay abandonment which can fool a wide age range and various groups without any issues what so ever. Conversely its a big con trick by the Lucifer's hordes of snake oil producing demons from the lower planes of the abyss to lever cash from unsuspecting audiofools. Or just maybe it does produce differences they enjoy.

All I can report is this Martin I can accurately and repeatably measure differences between the incoming and outgoing Ethernet data streams which a Regen unit being measured. Now whether this equates to improved SQ only that individual listener can decide for themselves.

Though I will mention this, what happens outside the audio-band and well above may well effect what happens inside that audio band reproduction.

Are they any more users of this device this would like contribute their thoughts on what effect or not it has in their personal systems, or will someone decide they are all barking mad and are wasting their hard earned funds on a pointless device of dubious origin?

Age old arguments or a fresh debate?
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Martin.

I don't dismiss entirely the possibility that 'something else is happening' but without any supporting evidence for that, and with the evidence of the ASR test on the table, so to speak, then the most likely explanation is the psycho-acoustical one. The number of people reporting improvements does not render that invalid as a cause.

if you have one of the devices to hand maybe you could repeat the ASR test and see if you get the same result?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Psychoacoustics are just a form of confirmation bias. Bias can be very strong but they work both ways. If you think a device is foo you are setting your mind to expect no change and pre-loading your perceptions.

Yes I was very hopeful of hearing improvements from this device but Ive also tried many other products from digital cables, grounding boxes and isolation products also hopeful and I’ve not been convinced that they make improvements of any significance.

This was a significant step up in SQ out of the box, its significantly better again with a linear power supply with DIY oyaide power cord, boutique fuse and isolated from vibrations (this second significant improvement is in combination of all those elements).

Some users who tried it are not convinced its making a difference in their systems but they are a very small minority and they just returned the unit for a refund (30 days).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast