+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SL1210 isolation base

I'm gerald.

Default SL1210 isolation base

Any thought on this idea for a isolation base
    40mm solid oak then I am going to cut a same size sheet of mdf and sandwich 4mm of neoprean between the both of them.

Cheers Gerry

I'm Geoff.

How will you join the layers together? Neoprene is tricky to bond, many adhesive may prove unsatisfactory. If you bolt through to join the top and bottom boards you short circuit any presumed isolation benefits.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Hibster_2000 Guest

Why not just use some sprung feet on the oak? Or even the magnetic ones?

I'm gerald.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    Why not just use some sprung feet on the oak?
    What sort of spring would do the job

How will you join the layers together? Neoprene is tricky to bond
    I was thinking of using a hi-temp spray contact adhesive that I used to use when help mates build there campers

Hibster_2000 Guest

Depends on the weight, but there are a range of feet available, from the cheap nobsound ones through to Funk Firm and Townsend.
    Alternatively, fit some isolation feet on the 1210, and spike the isolation board?

I'm Pete.

Hi

Or you could consider using an Aptitlig chopping board from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=Aptitlig

You may want to read this review http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

Yes, I bought the Butchers block myself to try with my AudioTech tt wall mount and LP12 - delivers a much more precise sound than the medite shelf that came with the AudioTech, well worth the limited investment.

I'm Ian.

I made my own base.
    I worked on the principal that I was trying to isolate the techie from upward vibration from my floor ( T&G wood ) and the aim was to absorb the energy in these unwanted vibrations from reaching the techie.
    My solution was simple but has proved to be very effective.
    I made a wooded box 18 *15*4 " with a screw on lid. The base was drilled with feet mounting holes on the same centres as the techie. Feet were made from suitable tube cut to length and fitted with half a squash ball filled with self hardening silicone and bolted onto the base. Pointed metal feet were my preference but the weight of the total system meant the points would sink into a supporting surface defeating the theory of point contact by increasing the contact area.

With the lid off the box fill it wth some concrete or postcrete. Level it off and replace the lid. Sit the box on its side to ensure the concrete makes full contact between the base and lid. A clamp between base and lid should be used to avoid any bellying. Postcrete dries quickly.
    Finish the box wood surface to suit.
    Sit the techie on top using the standard feet which will also provide level adjust

There is obviously plenty of room for tweaks to the above probably with the feet between the box base and support depending on what one can find as feet

My Concrete base sits on top of my equipment rack
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm gerald.

Cheers Ian the oak I am having is stunning how heavy is the base you made ? Glad to see you back on the forum and hope you are better .

Ps before you where taken ill we where trying to sort out a oil reservoir for the bearing I had off you if you are not well enough to sort it any chance you could pm the size so I can get one made ?

Regards Gerry

I'm Ian.

Ill get back via PM soonest
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Andrew.

Oak has a poor damping factor, typically, 0.1 whilst Bamboo is better as 0.22. Permali/Panzerholz has a damping factor of 0.8
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast