+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted valve amplifier

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Free plug David but I only want a few watts not 50w class A
    Change a couple of settings, use el34s or 6ca7s select triode mode and you're home and dry!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm George.

Unison Research S6 with 3 EL34/channel, Class A??

I'm inthescottishmafia.

That’s what I’m currently using.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    I'd contact Nick Gorham- ha can build one to your own spec...
    The only Nick Gorham I could find is a skateboarder I'm a bit long in the tooth to take up skateboarding.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

LOL, Nick is Longdog Audio-

https://www.longdogaudio.com/
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Try this out, lovely amp, I should have kept mine, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-INN...UAAOSwXXBd3GKc

Get these guys to check it out and possibly upgrade it.
    thanks but cash on collection is too far for me and looking for low power not 25w.
    Do not quite understand why, I took this from your speaker manufacturers web site "Clear and truly beautiful sound combined with the benefits of high sensitivity. Ideal for use with low power valve or solidstate amplifiers but also superb and surprising with larger amplifiers above for example 20 watts. Be prepared to enjoy the absolute beauty of single driver wideband speakers of the highest quality.", so they recommend them with amps over 20W as well. https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/...c-currency=EUR

An Audio Innovations 500 set up for triode operation will be running at around 18w full output, it is also give exceptional sound quality for the cost(VFM), but you are never likely to use 18W or 25W level or you are likely to send yourself deaf quickly and get lots of complaints from neighbours. Most amps with a reasonable efficiency speaker will only be running on average at about 1W most of the time anyway. The beauty of having more power as I understand it is it allows for more control of the the low end bass content of the music, this is because the impedance of the driver changes and for lower frequencies puts more load on the amplifier, a better amp has more ability to handle this and it is what is referred to as damping. In other words when the bass drive has a large movement I believe it produces a back EMF to the amp which it has to resist, to stop unwanted continued movement of the speaker cone. This explanation may not be quite right but it is my simple understanding of it.

Anyway I would seriously consider this amp if you want a great overall sound, or dig deeper and go for an Allnic amplifier, they rarely come uo for sale 2nd hand though, there are a couple out there for over £5k. The other alternative would be PRIMALUNA EVO 200, highly recommended but a bit over your budget.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Do not quite understand why, I took this from your speaker manufacturers web site "Clear and truly beautiful sound combined with the benefits of high sensitivity. Ideal for use with low power valve or solidstate amplifiers but also superb and surprising with larger amplifiers above for example 20 watts. Be prepared to enjoy the absolute beauty of single driver wideband speakers of the highest quality.", so they recommend them with amps over 20W as well. https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/...c-currency=EUR

An Audio Innovations 500 set up for triode operation will be running at around 18w full output, it is also give exceptional sound quality for the cost(VFM), but you are never likely to use 18W or 25W level or you are likely to send yourself deaf quickly and get lots of complaints from neighbours. Most amps with a reasonable efficiency speaker will only be running on average at about 1W most of the time anyway. The beauty of having more power as I understand it is it allows for more control of the the low end bass content of the music, this is because the impedance of the driver changes and for lower frequencies puts more load on the amplifier, a better amp has more ability to handle this and it is what is referred to as damping. In other words when the bass drive has a large movement I believe it produces a back EMF to the amp which it has to resist, to stop unwanted continued movement of the speaker cone. This explanation may not be quite right but it is my simple understanding of it.

Anyway I would seriously consider this amp if you want a great overall sound, or dig deeper and go for an Allnic amplifier, they rarely come uo for sale 2nd hand though, there are a couple out there for over £5k. The other alternative would be PRIMALUNA EVO 200, highly recommended but a bit over your budget.
    Tbh my Sony is 40w solid state but I really like low powered sets. I've had el34 pp and 6C33C pp and didn't like them. In fact at scalford when my horn set up went tits up and we borrowed quad 63 from audio al, my 300B sounded better than the 6C33C pp. My listening room is very small so concerned a higher powered amp would be barely on, a problem I had with el34 pp into sensitive speakers 118db.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    LOL, Nick is Longdog Audio-

https://www.longdogaudio.com/
    Yes I find him eventually, website is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
    I'm reluctant to deal with individual designers who can God forbid, drop dead or go bust in the middle of a job and I've paid a deposit. Also the horror stories of things going pop and after sales service non existent. I prefer to go with tried and tested with resale value or build myself and save money and take the risk of failure.

I'm Rob.

Got to be Bottlehead Paul shouldn’t test your DIY skills
    https://bottlehead.com/

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterD View Post
    Got to be Bottlehead Paul shouldn’t test your DIY skills
    https://bottlehead.com/
    waiting for Boris and trumps deal so I don't my arse shagged by import tax.

I thought you were going to offer me an sit amp at a bargain price

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123