+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings to all

I'm Al.

Post Greetings to all

I've just joined and am looking forward to learning and contributing. As you might guess from my forum name, I'm a record collector (mostly 45s,78s and LPs) and have nice classic hi-fi - Garrard 301/SME 3009, Garrard 401/SME 3012, Quad 22/IIs. I'm trying to get the best possible sound to suit my tastes (and budget) so will probably be asking for advice from people who understand these things better than I do (which isn't hard). Thanks for having me.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Al.

Regarding your system, what cartridge do you use to play 78s, and what are your speakers?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Al.

Thanks for the comments.

These are what I use:

78s
    Audio Technica AT-Mono3/SP
    I'm considering getting an Ortofon SPU Mono CG 65 Di MkII

45s/LPs
    Benz Micro Glider SH
    Shure M44G
    Shure M44G wired mono
    I've just bought an Ortofon SPU Mono CG 25 Di MkII to replace the Benz - once I can figure out the weighting, I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Speakers
    Goodmans Midax 550/Whiteley Stentorian/Goodmans Trebax 100 in custom-made 1960s (?) cabinets (inherited).

I've thought about checking out Quad ESL63s or (possibly) some affordable Tannoys but have never heard either. In my office, I use Wharfedale Diamond IIIs (again, inherited) with my 401.

It's not hi-tech at all, but I do enjoy the sound I get. Since I mostly just listen to old records (used - cleaned on a Loricraft RCM) rather than audiophile pressings I'm looking for a different sound from people who listen to Beatles/jazz/classical records etc but would welcome comments from anyone.

Do you use a separate SUT or head amp with your Quad 22 when using the moving-coil cartridges? Or is there a specific adaptor you plug into the back of the Quad 22?

Who designed your speakers? The drive units they employ are very good, but the cabinet might not be allowing them to give of their best. I can't suggest a Tannoy design as I'm not familiar with the range. For advice on Tannoy speakers I would refer you to either Geoff (walpurgis) or Tom (montesquieu), who collectively have a knowledge of Tannoys that is second to none on this forum.

I used Quad 57s when I had a Quad 22/2xII set up, and continue to use them with other (solid state) amplifiers.

I'm not sure I understand by what you mean when you say "Since I mostly just listen to old records (used - cleaned on a Loricraft RCM) rather than audiophile pressings I'm looking for a different sound from people who listen to Beatles/jazz/classical records etc."

Most of us here have a lot of old records in their collection (some bought used) and do not solely listen to 'audiophile' pressings. A good system should allow you to get the best out of any record played, and not be dependant on the record itself.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hello Al. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting selection of equipment you're using, quite a bit of which I've owned myself. There are many fans of vintage British gear here.

Take a look around the site, you'll find every aspect of Hi-Fi is covered and there's plenty about music too.

Join in the chat and get to know everybody, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Al.

Thank you, Barry.

The cartridges go into the Quad 22 control unit and then into the IIs. A while ago, I tried a Pro-Ject Phono Box DS+ - I didn't get on with it but I'm sure I sure there's something else I could add to improve things.

I'm sure I'd love 57s but I'm don't know how well they'd physically fit in my room (which is why I mentioned the 63s). The cabinets I have are very solid closed units with a crossover box for each. They were built by a relative who really did seem to know his stuff, judging by his workshop and the stacks of detailed correspondence with manufacturers/engineers, wiring diagrams, notes etc we found when he passed.

I probably should have mentioned that in addition to my low level of technical knowledge, I have pretty poor eyesight. It's not a great combination and means that I'm not comfortable adjusting tonearms or doing simple electrical or servicing work. If anyone knows somebody who might offer paid assistance, I'd reallly appreciate that. (I'm in SE London.)

It's great to hear that there are others here who listen to and enjoy records in less than perfect condition! I look forward to joining in more once I've "found my feet" a bit. Thanks again for your time.

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Al. Welcome to AOS.

That's an interesting selection of equipment you're using, quite a bit of which I've owned myself. There are many fans of vintage British gear here.

Take a look around the site, you'll find every aspect of Hi-Fi is covered and there's plenty about music too.

Join in the chat and get to know everybody, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Thank you, Geoff - most kind. I've had a look at some of the sub groups but it's not always easy for me to figure out "where things go". For example, I have a question about a mechanical issue I'm having with my SME 3009 - what's the best place to discuss that?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRecordLover View Post
    Thank you, Geoff - most kind. I've had a look at some of the sub groups but it's not always easy for me to figure out "where things go". For example, I have a question about a mechanical issue I'm having with my SME 3009 - what's the best place to discuss that?
    Try Analogue Arts Al. Feel free to start your own thread and ask your questions, it's easy enough to do.

For discussion about any other of your vintage equipment the Past Masters section may be more appropriate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Whereabouts in SE London are you Al? I frequently visit NW6, but if you are near an Underground station (I refuse to drive in London) I could perhaps be able to help you with your system. Wouldn't be able to do anything until the New Year though.

What is the problem with the SME arm?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast