+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Review speak' bullsh*t

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you want your product reviewed on 6 Moons you have to pay a fee. Okay so maybe that would not stop them giving a bad review....but does not make them completely independent to my mind.
    I didn't know that. I'd want paying for them to review anything of mine as it's full of nonsense and I have no idea what they're talking about in 80% of their reviews.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Would it alter the sound if the glass ceiling was a mirror
    If a lady in a short skirt was above the glass ceiling, the effect would be similar to a veil being lifted
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    If a lady in a short skirt was above the glass ceiling, the effect would be similar to a veil being lifted
    Something would be lifted but it's not a veil

I'm Martin.

"Just gets out of the way" is my particular bête noire

I'm Wayne.

'Grips the music with real authority...' is one of my faves.

I don't know why anyone would read a review of an audio component except to glean information about ease of use and functionality etc. The very concept that somebody with a different system sat in a different room to mine, with quite likely different tastes in audio presentation, is going to be able to say anything genuinely meaningful and transferable to my set up/ room/ ears is somewhere between deeply flawed and ludicrous.

I'm John.

Audio Mags have their place, I have a fair collection that stopped about 20 years ago.
    Every so often you stumble on the crate that they are stored in.
    Have a browse at one or two,reignite the feeling that most of what is written is with a fork tongue,
    feel proud that the DIY Supplements are intact, and were the driving force to push one from the mainstream.
    The newest mainstream device I have in my system untouched by a upgrade design, I believe is the original ESL 57's or my Dyanvector DV 20X H.

Everything Else is DIY Built/Kit Built or Bespoke Designed and Built.
    For me, there has been Great VFM to be had, Great People being met and Friendships Built on the Journey.

Today any valued device in my system, that has got the historical attachment of going out in search for the device to be put under a investigation and the friendships developing as a result,
    with a end device being a Bespoke Produced device, will remain above all others competitors, no matter how good it is said to be.
    I don't get excited over aesthetics or manipulation from a sales team member, with a egotistical drive to satisfy his peers.
    At no time have I felt my method of producing a system, has left me deprived in the last 25 years.

As a comparison review on the said article, Alan could get himself a Home Trial, if it available ?
    Audition the device through his well trained ears and report back on the interpretations offered by the reviewer who has caused a niggle for him.
    I'm sure there is something Alan can say as a positive about the product, as well as any not so positives.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well, no - in the context of the sentence it meant constrained dynamics, viz. a glass ceiling affecting the dynamics.

I'm fine with veils being lifted, as well.
    Come on, we've all heard that happen. So why not say so?
    'Close your eyes, and the speakers disappear'. Well, yeah. Be weird if they didn't.

I'm Deleted.

I still get three magazines, though two of those are only the digital versions, and they are ‘Stereophile’ and ‘HiFi+‘. The print one is my favourite and is the, by mail order only, ‘HiFi Critic’ (it’s also the most expensive - by far). In fact I’ve just received the latest edition of ‘Critic’ and it’s very good .

As for paid reviews, my first hand experience of reviewers and getting gear reviewed is that they are actually really honest and don’t threaten a poor review unless advertising is paid etc. However, I know of lesser known reviewers who expect to be given the piece of equipment under review (if you know what to look for you sometimes see this gear come up for subsequent sale).

I also knew that 6 Moons require outright payment for reviews and you never read a bad review on their website. Having said that, they do have a reputation for reviewing very outré equipment and for producing reviews that include many complex similes that read like they have been fed back and forth through Google translate a number of times (some reviewers more notorious for this kind of style than others). In fact, if one is looking to be critical of review speak, you need look no further than that written by ‘Marja and Henk’ ;.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

6 Moons is subjective reviewing taken to its logical extreme. Pages of closely typed waffle that ultimately tell you nothing at all. They do list the components of the 'reviewers system' though, which is usually chock full of expensive crazy crap in addition to source, amp and speakers. Always a warning sign.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

The best thing about 6 Moons, and it is a really good thing, is the photography. They seldom rely on stock photos and usually take very good internal photos too.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast