+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linn Aktiv

I'm Brian.

Default Linn Aktiv

I’ve got quite a basic and fairly ‘vintage’ Linn system - Majik 1 amp, Karik CD and Keilidh speakers. I quite fancy going aktiv, but want to keep it cost-effective! I’m thinking that I’ll need a couple more amps (possibly 2 x LK100 plus 2 aktiv cards for each amp. Plus associated cradles for the cards. Would that be it? I’m not sure if the Majik 1 amp can accommodate cards too - in which case that might negate the need for a 2nd Power amp so I’d just need one LK100? As you’ll gather I’m not sure what is the best configuration for going aktiv!
    Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Norman.

Hi, it can be a bit of a minefield as there are 3 different series of cards. Your Majik should be early type 1 mono but according to the link I'm including mounting plates are required and Rare.
    I've just completed going active with Keilidh's.Any other questions I'll try to answer given my slightly limited knowledge.

http://www.krescendohifi.co.uk/blog.html
    It's from 2015 and explains it all quite nicely
    Best wishes
    Norman

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    Rosewood LP12 Lingo, Ittok LVIII, AT OC9/III, Pioneer N-50A Streamer, Beresford Caimen SEG, Yamaha CD-N301 CD/ Streamer.Puresound T10 & P10, Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate passive preamp, Audio Synthesis Decade amp. Canor TP10 Headphone amp. Pair MF P150 amps
    Linn Keildh, Hiquphon Tweeter upgrade.With Kustone bases
    Solid core Silver interconnects. Silver plated solid core copper interconnects, KLE Silver and Neutrik plugs and K400 biwire cable. Norstone Bergen 2 table
    Mission Isoplat (anyone remember them?)Synology DS215 , Beyerdynamic DT 990's, ADL GT40 Alpha for ADC Duties.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin'Norman View Post
    Hi, it can be a bit of a minefield as there are 3 different series of cards. Your Majik should be early type 1 mono but according to the link I'm including mounting plates are required and Rare.
    I've just completed going active with Keilidh's.Any other questions I'll try to answer given my slightly limited knowledge.

http://www.krescendohifi.co.uk/blog.html
    It's from 2015 and explains it all quite nicely
    Best wishes
    Norman

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    Thank you Norman! I think I’ve identified a mounting plate for sale for the old Majik. I’ll get onto that link you’ve provided.

Thanks again, Brian

I'm Brian.

Another quick question if that’s ok! Will I require 3 sets of cards or just two - it’s not very clear. If it’s just 2 sets (bass & treble) I’ll probably just pick up 2 lk100 amps and leave the Majik as is. But if it’s 3 sets of cards (bass, treble, mid?) then I’ll utilise the Majik. I’m certain it’s the older mono cards that will be required.

Thanks again!

Cheers, Brian

I'm Brian.

Solved! I can do it with 2 sets of cards.

I'm Simon.

I have a 3 way aktiv setup with my old Keilidhs. cards in the Majik, LK100 and LK140. LK140 does the treble (the better amp according to my old dealer), the lk100 and majik on bass duties. A couple of things need snipping in the Keilidhs as well and I'm not sure if it's reversible if you do go down that route. if you go with three then the "extra" bass gets used. Not sure if this makes it any better as I went straight to a 3 way. If you use the card in the majik then you couldn't use the sneaky slot as it takes the place of that.

It made a huge difference for me when I did it.

It's easier to put the cards in the lk85 and lk140 as this was part of the upgraded design.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    I have a 3 way aktiv setup with my old Keilidhs. cards in the Majik, LK100 and LK140. LK140 does the treble (the better amp according to my old dealer), the lk100 and majik on bass duties. A couple of things need snipping in the Keilidhs as well and I'm not sure if it's reversible if you do go down that route. if you go with three then the "extra" bass gets used. Not sure if this makes it any better as I went straight to a 3 way. If you use the card in the majik then you couldn't use the sneaky slot as it takes the place of that.

It made a huge difference for me when I did it.

It's easier to put the cards in the lk85 and lk140 as this was part of the upgraded design.
    Thanks Griffo104 - that’s very helpful. I’ve identified a local dealer who is happy to do the conversion for me, which they’ve quoted as 2-3 hours work. I’m now thinking whether I should just as well make it triactive?

I'm Simon.

Well I didn't have a choice as I got my aktiv cards free as part of a Linn promo. It did take the dealer about 3 hours to do all the work though and I know it's more fiddly with the older power amps as the LK140 was a doddle.

I always enjoyed the bass and the ease of flow I had from my system and I struggled to go back to passive speakers afterwards. whether there is much difference between 2 or 3 way active I can't really answer that but the way I saw it to get the full performance out of the keilidhs then may as well go the the whole way.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    Well I didn't have a choice as I got my aktiv cards free as part of a Linn promo. It did take the dealer about 3 hours to do all the work though and I know it's more fiddly with the older power amps as the LK140 was a doddle.

I always enjoyed the bass and the ease of flow I had from my system and I struggled to go back to passive speakers afterwards. whether there is much difference between 2 or 3 way active I can't really answer that but the way I saw it to get the full performance out of the keilidhs then may as well go the the whole way.
    Thanks Griffo104 - I may just utilise the Majik and get one additional amp, probably the most cost-effective way to do it given I can use the amp I already have.

I'm Simon.

Hope it goes well. Be interested to hear how you got on with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast