+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A curious thing has happened--sequel!!

I'm Steve.

Or try one of the Rothwells.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I could take a look at your current phono if you like?
    Seems possible something has come loose inside, personally I'd take Alan up on his kind offer.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tyke View Post
    When I was routing the second pair of speaker cables to the amp I accidentally pulled one of the inputs to the phono preamp. The preamp jumped off the rack, hit me on the bridge of the nose and landed, belly up, on the shag pile! I replaced it on the rack and only just managed to stop the blood dripping from the end of my nose onto the pale cream carpet....

Sorry to be long-winded but thought this might amuse some of you. Fortunately, I can laugh about it now.
    I am embarassed to admit that your description of events did make me chuckle.

I'm Lawrence.

Could be the earth lead has come loose inside, worth having a look. Stick some internal photos up here if you like.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I could take a look at your current phono if you like?
    I noticed when checking the connections yesterday that the hum is present whether the earth lead is connected to the phono preamp or not. So, I would like to take you up on your generous offer, if it still stands?

I'm Alan.

Sending a PM.

I'm Deleted.

Oh, what I have come across before (and quite possible what Alan has suggested in his PM) is, when removing the RCA cable it’s easy to twist the plug and this can cause the socket to also twist. When this happens the positive and return wires can touch inside the unit where they are soldered to the RCA sockets. I’ve also seen something similar happen with the ground connection - all easy, quick and cheap fixes.
    Account Deleted

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oh, what I have come across before (and quite possible what Alan has suggested in his PM) is, when removing the RCA cable it’s easy to twist the plug and this can cause the socket to also twist. When this happens the positive and return wires can touch inside the unit where they are soldered to the RCA sockets. I’ve also seen something similar happen with the ground connection - all easy, quick and cheap fixes.
    Thanks for that. The preamp is going to have a trip to Alan for him to inspect. Would be no good for me to look as I wouldn't know what to look for!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12