+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best LS3/5as I have ever heard...

I'm Martyn.

Default The best LS3/5as I have ever heard...

I recently purchased, from Stirling Broadcast, the last pair of the baffles used for the Rogers 60th Anniversary LS3/5as.
    They have been fitted into a pair of Harbeth LS3/5a cabinets, which have be refurbished by a furniture
    restorer I know.
    I have to say these are the best LS3/5as I have ever heard, and I’ve heard a lot.

In my house I have had Falcons, Harbeths and Rogers, as well as a pair of Stirling V2s for a short
    time.
    Not to mention some ‘3/5a Clones built for people.

The soundstage and imaging on these is by far the best I have experienced.
    No sign of a ‘hot top end’ as some call it.
    Definitely not as bright as the Falcons.
    And they really do sound like ‘big’ speakers.
    Frankly, I am amazed by these little boxes.

Time to put on another CD...

I'm Phil.

gosh martyn , they must be something to beat the falcons !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Lawrence.

When you say baffles does that include the drive units? And where did the crossover come from? Just trying to work out which bit would make them sound so nice.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    gosh martyn , they must be something to beat the falcons !!
    Don’t get me wrong, the Falcons were superb in my room.
    To me, though, they still carry the flaws of the original design.
    They’re the ones which people love and make it ( and other Kef drivered LS3/5as ) such a unique speaker.
    As you know, all speakers are compromises and the set of compromises in these Stirlings work for me.

As an aside, I also own a pair of Harbeth P3-ESRs and I feel they are superior to any ‘3/5as I’ve heard.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    When you say baffles does that include the drive units? And where did the crossover come from? Just trying to work out which bit would make them sound so nice.

The baffles have the drive units and crossovers mounted on then and tested before sale.
    Stirling Broadcast match the bass/mid drivers and tweeters and the crossovers are built to
    integrate them.
    They are then fitted to a cabinet to run frequency response tests, etc.
    Of course, when they were sold as the limited edition Rogers 60th Anniversary LS3/5a the appropriate labels
    and badges were fitted.

I'm Lawrence.

Interesting, did Stirling buy some stock off Rogers then,?

I'm Martyn.

Interesting, did Stirling buy some stock off Rogers then ?
    No, Rogers commissioned Stirling to build the speakers.

Rogers International Ltd. ( owned by Wo Kee Hong ) wanted to re-launch the Rogers LS3/5a,
    and employed Andy Whittle and John Bell to design it.

John Bell was going to build them, but as Stirling had spare capacity they used him.
    Derek Hughes did the final tweaking of the crossover for the 60th.

I know John Bell and he gave me the history of the project.

The new Rogers ‘3/5a was very well received.
    Look up ‘Rogers 60th Anniversary LS3/5a’ on the Internet.

Many owners of traditional LS3/5as don’t like a speaker with modern drive units
    and crossovers.
    I would advise putting prejudices to one side and just listen...

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks I didn't know they had changed the drive units that may explain the difference in sound. I'm sure the hardcore fans of the originals would argue that the differences are subjective

I'm Mel.

Thanks I didn't know they had changed the drive units that may explain the difference in sound. I'm sure the hardcore fans of the originals would argue that the differences are subjective
    I would think not.

The Falcons were built to replicate the originals as far as possible and to say they carry the flaws of the original is not correct - they certainly cary the characteristics of the originals very closely.

Copies of the original design which use different drive units etc are the ones which carry the flaws as they differ from the originals in various ways and are flawed because of the differences (to the originals).

However, terms such as 'flaws' are subjective and Martyn's speakers obviously sound different and to his ears are an improvement over the Falcon's. To a purist they would also sound different but then would probably be viewed as worse than the originals.

Personally, I like my Falcons (kit built in the initial stage of production before they were licensed) but Falcon also produce a kit which "copies" the LS3/5a design but uses different drive units and to me they sound slightly better as they seem to have better control of frequency extremes.

In reality we all like different equipment and possibly hear in different ways so nothing is really better or worse just different.

Mel

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I would think not.

The Falcons were built to replicate the originals as far as possible and to say they carry the flaws of the original is not correct - they certainly cary the characteristics of the originals very closely.

Copies of the original design which use different drive units etc are the ones which carry the flaws as they differ from the originals in various ways and are flawed because of the differences (to the originals).

However, terms such as 'flaws' are subjective and Martyn's speakers obviously sound different and to his ears are an improvement over the Falcon's. To a purist they would also sound different but then would probably be viewed as worse than the originals.

Personally, I like my Falcons (kit built in the initial stage of production before they were licensed) but Falcon also produce a kit which "copies" the LS3/5a design but uses different drive units and to me they sound slightly better as they seem to have better control of frequency extremes.

In reality we all like different equipment and possibly hear in different ways so nothing is really better or worse just different.

Mel
    I think you agree with me. Martyn said they sounded better. I said the hardcore LS3/5a fan would argue that is subjective (since they would disagree!). I think that's what you just said too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast