+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To balance or not to balance . . .

I'm Chris.

Default To balance or not to balance . . .

I'm considering building a fully balanced system (well working backwards from the pre/power amp which are balanced).
    My question is where exactly I may start to hear benefits from having the balanced signal, as it may require me to replace less of the system.

Starting with digital, the chain will potentially look like this:

Streamer - SMSL DP-3 (new) --- AES/EBU output to:

Digital EQ - Behringer DEQ 2496 (already own) --- AES/EBU output to:

DAC - Topping DX7s (new) --- Balanced XLR outputs to pre/power amp.

If I can skip replacing the streamer and get the same results using spdif (Toslink) out from my current streamer into the DEQ and "start" the balanced signal from there, that would be more appealing (at least financially!).

Even better if I could skip replacing anything and get (as near as makes no difference) the same result having an unbalanced signal up until the pre-amp then I will stick with that as I fear the point of diminishing returns may well have been reached!

Interested to hear thoughts and opinions.

Of course there are further benefits to replacing my current setup with the kit mentioned, not least the ability to play 32/bit and DSD files so a bit of future proofing is also part of the equation.

Cheers,

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Deleted.

To be be blunt, I don’t think you’ll hear any real benefit at all unless you are running lots of very long cables (as may be found in a studio).
    Account Deleted

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    To be be blunt, I don’t think you’ll hear any real benefit at all unless you are running lots of very long cables (as may be found in a studio).
    Thanks Mark, the thought had occurred to me but I'm a sucker for a tweak (even when things are sounding very nice).

Plus I don't think my listening room is particularly susceptible to enough RFI interference etc to justify the change. I think I just like the idea of nice chunky plugs and using the balanced inputs on my pre, but if the performance jump is low to nil I know there's better areas to spend (waste!) money on!

Now, my schuko plugs should turn up any minute now along with my new half filtered half unfiltered power strip . . . .
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I run a fully balanced system, because I have power monoblock amplifiers located directly behind each speaker, in order to minimise the length of the speaker cable (< 1m). The power amplifiers, which have a balanced input, are fed by balanced-line cables running back to the preamplifier, itself having dual differential inputs and outputs. The cables are 15m long, running underneath the floorboards.

On a technical level, balanced line connections have the advantage that the signal return is completely separate from the shielding and safety earth. IMO with unbalanced connections, the combination of signal return with the 0V rail and the equipment safety earth, means that minute earth currents can interfere with the signal; which is why, again IMO, some unbalanced cables can sound different to one another.

For the vast majority of installations, I doubt if moving to balanced interconnects would make much of a difference.

If you want to try out using a balanced-line cable, the best place to would be between the source (phonostage, if it has a balanced output, and CDP or DAC). I am in the middle of trying out a number of balanced-line cables between my CDP and preamp, both of which have true dual differential connections, but so far I cannot hear any real and repeatable difference between them; which is what I would expect.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Balanced is a PITA

Now, I know people think I'm mad but I hate the connections. There is no helping me here but I loath the cheap shit brass pins and sockets.

I am a disciple of the merits of copper and its use in connections especially. Trouble is with balanced gear, its all gold plated brass unless you're willing to drop serious cheddar on plugs and sockets, which I am, if I had the money available.

I thought I'd found a really good plug recently only to discover its £100 to get a set of plugs here now, as the supplier id just found dropped them from their stock.

Theres no doubt its a better connection imo and that's all that we should worry about.......right?

I'm Deleted.

A friend runs a fully balanced system (in fact it may be two friends), the move from non, to semi, to fully balanced had no benefits I could detect.
    Account Deleted

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I run a fully balanced system, because I have power monoblock amplifiers located directly behind each speaker, in order to minimise the length of the speaker cable (< 1m). The power amplifiers, which have a balanced input, are fed by balanced-line cables running back to the preamplifier, itself having dual differential inputs and outputs. The cables are 15m long, running underneath the floorboards.
    Given your setup here Barry, I can certainly appreciate why balanced might be beneficial. My runs are not that long (yet). Looks like my "need" for balanced connections is not as great as those with technical requirements (such as length of signal run).

Cheers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Balanced is a PITA

Now, I know people think I'm mad but I hate the connections. There is no helping me here but I loath the cheap shit brass pins and sockets.

I am a disciple of the merits of copper and its use in connections especially. Trouble is with balanced gear, its all gold plated brass unless you're willing to drop serious cheddar on plugs and sockets, which I am, if I had the money available.

I thought I'd found a really good plug recently only to discover its £100 to get a set of plugs here now, as the supplier id just found dropped them from their stock.

Theres no doubt its a better connection imo and that's all that we should worry about.......right?
    Hmmm . . . I hadn't really considered the inferiority of the "cheaper" connections vs good RCA's.

As we know though Oliver, it ALL matters (to a greater or lesser degree).

Thanks for the reply's so far chaps, interesting stuff and more to think about.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hmmm . . . I hadn't really considered the inferiority of the "cheaper" connections vs good RCA's.

As we know though Oliver, it ALL matters (to a greater or lesser degree).

Thanks for the reply's so far chaps, interesting stuff and more to think about.
    Well, according to those with education, it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

Me, a bona-fide numpty, just can't accept brass connections.

As I say, the connections on a balanced plug are better and have more surface area than rca so that's a bonus but I want copper!!!!

I'm Steve.

I don't really have a choice as Conrad Johnson don't believe there is any advantage in using balanced circuitry/connections, so my CJ preamp and power amp are single-ended only! The specification of my CJ preamp (using valves and mosfets) specifically states that it can drive long cable lengths. I certainly have no problem with 3m interconnects between pre and power amp!

I can see that in Barry's specific application, that balanced connects with long cable runs would be appropriate.
    Last edited by Snoopdog; 09-12-2019 at 12:12.
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast