+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To balance or not to balance . . .

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    With you on that ....

Kind of makes you long for the days when digital was just 'no-fuss' 0s and 1s ..... I remember the first time I foolishly read an in-depth article about why digital coax has to be longer than 1.5 m

.... almost made me weep for the lost innocence
    it can be if you dont fuss Ive got music streaming from roon through an hd dongle to my nuraphones... sound is magical..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    it can be if you dont fuss
    I don't .... just got two RCA adapters at £1.59 each ... cheap rubbish made with nickel and low grade brass, sound is fcuking great

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I don't .... just got two RCA adapters at £1.59 each ... cheap rubbish made with nickel and low grade brass, sound is fcuking great
    good.. chopping the top end a bit can be beneficial . us oldies do it naturally
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

Balanced is used in professional situations because it relatively reliably eliminates earthing problems, and in those situations frequent reconfiguring of equipment is the norm, especially with patch bays. In bid studios there are often long runs, and these tend to induce noise more with single ended ccts.

The distortion produced in balanced circuits is roughly double that of single ended ccts.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    good.. chopping the top end a bit can be beneficial .
    They are RCA to jack plug adapters - if I chop the top end off I'll get nowt

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Balanced is used in professional situations because it relatively reliably eliminates earthing problems,
    Not entirely though ...

As this list of electrocuted pop singers will attest:

https://www.ranker.com/list/musician...jessica-defino

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    As I mention in the first post I wonder if there are benefits to be had by effectively replacing the Toslink (unbalanced?) cables with AES/EBU (balanced?) cables?
    AES is a balanced digital signal, I believe one of the benefits of this usually is galvanic isolation.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    AES is a balanced digital signal, I believe one of the benefits of this usually is galvanic isolation.
    Another layer to the cake Alan!

Mmmmmm . . . galvanicy . . .
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123