+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new deck..

I'm Andrew.

The SME v 12 is wired in silver, so the tonearm cable is one of Yannis silver 420xx designs.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Finally things are nearly setup! I'm still waiting for the Yannis Tome tonearm cable but I have a Nordost TYR plumbed into the SME V-12. The V-12 is finally setup so now it's just a matter of playing with tracking weights, anti-skate etc. Hopefully get a couple of hours tonight.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

How are you finding it sir?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andrew.

The Yannis Tome cable is still in the ether I have, however, been using a Nordost Tyr tonearm cable. I'd say that the 301 has a little more edge and punch, a slightly livelier presentation than the 401. The 401 gives a slightly softer, warmer presentation but with a greater clarity and inner-depth to the soundstage. I think this is the V-12 in action it's gives you the impression that it's the "guv'nor" and a vice like grip on proceedings. I'm still in the process of playing around with tracking and loading forces so this may have an impact on what I'm hearing. I would also say that the Yannis Tome creation is a pure silver creation whilst the Nordost is high purity copper with silver plating. So, overall I'm still in limbo, it's a nice place, however, as I have to listen to hours and hours of vinyl trying to fine tune the 401. If all else fails I've always got my old 301 sitting next to my Uber spec'd 1210 if the 401 pisses me off. Life's really hard you know.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    The Yannis Tome cable is still in the ether I have, however, been using a Nordost Tyr tonearm cable. I'd say that the 301 has a little more edge and punch, a slightly livelier presentation than the 401. The 401 gives a slightly softer, warmer presentation but with a greater clarity and inner-depth to the soundstage. I think this is the V-12 in action it's gives you the impression that it's the "guv'nor" and a vice like grip on proceedings. I'm still in the process of playing around with tracking and loading forces so this may have an impact on what I'm hearing. I would also say that the Yannis Tome creation is a pure silver creation whilst the Nordost is high purity copper with silver plating. So, overall I'm still in limbo, it's a nice place, however, as I have to listen to hours and hours of vinyl trying to fine tune the 401. If all else fails I've always got my old 301 sitting next to my Uber spec'd 1210 if the 401 pisses me off. Life's really hard you know.
    Sounds like you're enjoying yourself, certainly beats James Bond re runs. I'm also waiting on a Tome cable so I can raise my tonearm, not quite there yet with mine! I just got a £60 pure copper one. I've the Jelco 750 on it for the time being, but would like to try a 774.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andrew.

Which TOME did you go for?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Which TOME did you go for?
    Coppercord @ £60. I needed a completely straight/flush din connector as the tonearm sits fairly high in the 401, so cable needs to go into the tonearm/collar quite far. I'll get a new plinth soon though, just a cheapy ply one from Romania, I can't what sonic differences it would make with any other plywood plinth, it wouldn't be close cut to the motor like yours though, if that makes much difference? Do you screw your mounting screws down out of interest?

I'm Robert.

Looks like Yannis is pretty busy with cables then, so we may be in for a bit of a wait but it'll be worth it.

Cant beat Yannis's tonearm cable quality and service in my experience - Very good cables and a top bloke.

I'm also awaiting another 'Yannis' which will be a bespoke 423.5plus.

He has to basically make it like the EPA-250 tonearm cable, which has a ground pin in the middle between the left and right rca, into the tonearm base.

I think he can do it, although just have to be mindful of the size of the KLEI Harmony plugs and fit.

The 423.5 I had previously was superb, the 423.5Plus is an improved version, I can only imagine it will be a stonker then https://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/42...litz_plus.html

I'll be having the KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs fitted both ends - hope it all fits/ works out and cant wait.

I did enquire after the 420.5 you have Andy, (as you know it is the top of his high end offerings and isnt on his site), but I just could not justify the spend
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Coppercord @ £60. I needed a completely straight/flush din connector as the tonearm sits fairly high in the 401, so cable needs to go into the tonearm/collar quite far. I'll get a new plinth soon though, just a cheapy ply one from Romania, I can't what sonic differences it would make with any other plywood plinth, it wouldn't be close cut to the motor like yours though, if that makes much difference? Do you screw your mounting screws down out of interest?
    The "cheapy" plinth's from Romania are just as good as anything from this country at x3 or x4 times the price. I don't think the motor being close to the plinth is an issue. There are two sets of mounting screws. The first set is for the motor-cage to connect onto the top plate, and yes you need these screwed in. The 401 has four threaded rods which attach to the top plate and fix the deck onto your plinth via x4 nuts. The 401 needs to be screwed down onto the top surface of the plinth to try and "sink" vibration from the deck and it's components into the plinth.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Looks like Yannis is pretty busy with cables then, so we may be in for a bit of a wait but it'll be worth it.

Cant beat Yannis's tonearm cable quality and service in my experience - Very good cables and a top bloke.

I'm also awaiting another 'Yannis' which will be a bespoke 423.5plus.

He has to basically make it like the EPA-250 tonearm cable, which has a ground pin in the middle between the left and right rca, into the tonearm base.

I think he can do it, although just have to be mindful of the size of the KLEI Harmony plugs and fit.

The 423.5 I had previously was superb, the 423.5Plus is an improved version, I can only imagine it will be a stonker then https://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/42...litz_plus.html

I'll be having the KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs fitted both ends - hope it all fits/ works out and cant wait.

I did enquire after the 420.5 you have Andy, (as you know it is the top of his high end offerings and isnt on his site), but I just could not justify the spend
    Sounds good Rob and I hop you see the sonic benefits. I didn't want to faff around with months and years of tonearm cable assessments. I'd already had one of his cables some time back on the 1210 and just took a leap of faith with respects to the 420.5. I've had the cable for several years now and have never regretted the outlay. It's my "endgame" tonearm cable. It's a bit like buying a Cadenza black, there's no turning back once you've got one . Yannis also make some tonearm cables which cost mucho-bucks when compared to the 420.5, probably x4 or x5 the expense but these incorporate pure silver and gold!!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mike.

Bollocks, me tome cable arrived and it ain't got an earth wire at the tonearm end, have to send it back, more waiting!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast