+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know when a stylus is wearing

I'm Phil.

Default How do you know when a stylus is wearing

My cadenza bronze seems to dig out muck from the groves and this eventually lifts the needle out the grove , i hope its not vinyl and the needle acting
    as a turning tool , i dont think so , i think its down to the design or angle of the diamond , if i clean the record with a vac drawing the liquid from the record it seems to do the trick but if not it can happen on 2 tracks , im thinking about sending it in to expert stylus for a check and buying something
    else maybe a secondhand phase tec or shelter . ive had at33ptg but my techno arm had been sent to johnny audio origami who puts locktite on the threads of the horizontal adjustment , i could never get the arm to sound right so dont know about the at33ptg , my cadenza bronze sounded poor also
    i give up on records for 2 or more years , until i found the problem , the locktite had glued the bearing to the cup , so i cleaned it all from the threads
    etc and used thick silicon which stops the adjustment moving , all sounds well again . so ive purchased a valab lcr phono which is fab , and now thinking
    about another cartridge , phil.
    Phil.

I'm James.

Best indication of stylus wear is listening to how it sounds which is a cure and a curse. When it is worn you will loose top end information and general micro detail and air around notes. It will become thicker and coarser sounding but when it gets to this point it maybe also damaging your record or increasing wear on the record.

The acid test is to pop in a new stylus and listen back to back. This is how I determine wear on my 2M black although I do actually have 3 stylus, one new, one worn to the point of needing change and another with a bit of wear.

Second method would be to view under a microscope but you could again do with a new one to compare it against of the same make. Visual assessment in my book is not as good as listening /sound assessment.

You mention that your stylus digs out lots of muck. Not sure if this is good as it could be either very worn or poor angle. My stylus does throw up a lot of dust and debris but this is just stuff floating on the surface of the record which then gets thrown onto the front of the stylus body.

I did have a 2M Black that did not sound correct once that was very new. It cause distortion in one channel which is also a vey good determination of stylus wear. Distortion causes by the stylus is usually a guarantee of significant were. However in my case it was a poorly engineered diamond. It went back to Ortofon headquarters and was assessed. It took weeks but they eventually agreed there was an issue. They would not tell me what the issue was but they did send be a brand new stylus!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Doesn't sound right but doesn't sound like worn stylus.

If there is loads of gunk have you cleaned your records and are you playing them wet?

The bottom of the cartridge should be approximately parallel with the record. If so the stylus angle should be right.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Deleted.

Jimbo describes it very well IMO - a bit dulled, ‘shut in’ and lacking fine nuance.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

Might be your records are not clean enough. Perhaps it's not sucking enough crap that's there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Cheers steve , for your thoughts , eva cassidy songbird original was the record i was playing , so i cleaned it and played it again and everything was ok , but ive always thought the suspension to be weak , probably due to me dropping the old tonearm on my pioneer pl71 , ive also bent the cantilever slightly and bent it straight again , sent it back to tt world who thought the suspension ok , but if the arm is perfectly horizontal the back of the cartridge is on the record , so you need to lift the arm higher than it need to be , to keep that gap right , instruments sound great natural tracking is quiet , but bass is a bit soft , i always thought i should have bought the blue with valve amps and phono stage , but now i have the valab lcr which has lifted the sound quality , i think im going to trade it for a cadenza blue , most think it betters the art 9 , ive always found AT to lack body , always thought shelter spu and ortofon sounded right , needs to be more sharp and precise , hope it dont lack the refinment of the bronze , phil.
    Phil.

I'm Deleted.

Regarding the pickup of stylus fluff/grunge/general crap. I’ve run a number of ‘radical’ stylus profiles - the last two being a Gyger tip (that looks rather like the tip of a chisel) and the Expert Stylus Co ‘Paratrace’. Neither of these tips have accumulated junk and I can’t remember the last time I had to remove such stuff (yes, I do check). To further compound matters, I never clean my records either - I just take them out of the sleeve, play them, put them back into the sleeve.
    Account Deleted

I'm Phil.

Hi mark , thanks for your thoughts , damaging my vinyl bothers me the sound quality varies so much between pressings , you will see my previous post , im going to replace the cartridge thinking i should have bought the blue instead of the bronze, my phono original was the long dog audio moving coil which still sounds great , just
    cant compete with the valab lcr , to be honest to many valves in a system makes it soft sounding , still using a mk1 xerxes with technoarm , still a good deck, £402
    off a new cartridge , if i purchased another arm it would be artemiz , what do you think of the blue . phil
    Phil.

I'm Phil.

Hi grant , you may be right , but ive got the feeling the suspension is at fault plus the cadenza bronze must be 8 years old now , i think the suspension being weak puts the needle at the wrong angle , bit like a ramp , phil.
    Phil.

I'm Deleted.

To reassure you, I'm not saying a worn stylus doesn’t harm records but it does so in quite a subtle way. The only thing that really obviously harms records is mistracking and this is usually the result of poor alignment or insufficient tracking weight (always track at very near the absolute maximum recommended for a cartridge - in fact I would set the maximum as the default and adjust by ear up (( yes, even potentially up from the maximum recommended)) and down from there).
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast