+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doubling interconnects

I'm Deleted.

His stuff is still available I believe - fringe by any standards.
    Account Deleted

I'm Ian.

Best for our pocket we dont go there but i can sell you a nos marker pen to put random coloured lines on the edge your 12 inch vinyl or cd. New comers to hifi dont know what they have missed

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Best for our pocket we dont go there but i can sell you a nos marker pen to put random coloured lines on the edge your 12 inch vinyl or cd. New comers to hifi dont know what they have missed
    Sorry but random colours won't cut it. My extensive experiments proved that green is the only one that works, in line with the foo pedlars of the day!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Geoff.

This is true. The walpurgis 'Ultimate' digital interconnect cable is in fact green. Other colours just don't deliver!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Pete.

Hi All

Having experimented with double biwiring speakers, using Audioquest Rocket
    44 cable, and found the effect was that the sound produced by the speakers
    was fuller - more of everything and all a little better defined - this
    discussion finally pushed me into experimenting with what doubling an
    interconnect could do.

So I dug out my soldering kit, some phono plugs and some cable.

As it happens I had just enough of the same cable that the existing "standard"
    single stereo interconnect (see image 1 below) installed between my Meridian
    G08 CD player and Meridian G61R SL Sound Processor is made of but not quite
    the same phono plugs although they seem very similar - fairly inexpensive gold
    plated phono plugs.

Swapping the single stereo interconnect for a double stereo interconnect made
    of the same cable should make for a reasonably fair comparison.

I am not sure what Brand/Model the cable is - apart from well screened and
    insulated solid core cable, possibly Audioquest - as there are no markings on
    the cable. This may be due to age as I purchased 10 or so metres in 1998/99...

Here are some images of the cable and interconnects

1] cable construction - shown on a rule to give an idea of size

2] single and double stereo interconnects

Listening test performed by wife and son - whose hearing age is half wifes and
    mine - without them knowing in advance which interconnect was currently
    installed.

We selected the following CDs/Tracks as we were all at least slightly familiar
    with them:-

1] Steve Windwood: Higher Love, (1) Higher Love (2) Take it As It Comes

2] Eurthymics: Missionary Man, (1) Missionary Man (2) Thorn In My Side

Wife and son then left the room while I "prepared" the system.
    When I had loaded the Steve Windwood CD I waited a couple of minutes before
    asking back in them to listen - at this point they did not know if the single
    or double stereo interconnect was installed.

After we had listened to the 2 selected tracks both left the room again so that
    I could change the interconnect. Having changed to the double stereo
    interconnect we listened to the same tracks again.

Both said after a minute or so words to the effect of the sound is clearer than
    previously, a little more of everything. I have to say that I agree with them.

To confirm their findings we decided to play the Eurthymics tracks: they left
    the room and I swapped interconnects back to the single stereo.

When they returned and started listening both immediately said that they
    thought I had "done something - probably swapped cables back" as the sound now
    seemed a little more "distant" - not as clear and open as on the Steve Windwood
    CD 2nd play (using the double stereo interconnect).

Having listened to the 2 tracks they left the room and I swapped interconnects
    to the double stereo. When we started playing the CD they both said
    "That's better" and explained they thought there was more to the overall sound.

So, wife and son both hear the same sort of difference I hear between the
    single and double stereo interconnects.

We have now been using the double stereo interconnect for a few weeks and are
    still convinced that the sound is clearer, better defined.

While I am happy with my "new" double stereo interconnect I am aware that the
    cable itself is quite old. If anyone knows of a similar, more "up to date"
    version of this solid core cable - possibly 2 solid cores with 1 core being
    slightly larger than the other - I would probably be interested in giving it a
    try especially as I am now keen to try doubling the interconnects between:-

1] Pro-ject PhonoBox DS+ to Meridian G61R SL Sound Processor - will the
    LP12/Ittok/Kiseki Blue Gold Spot output benefit from this "cable doubling"?
    - should I look into replacing the LP12 phono leads as well?

2] Meridian G61R SL Sound Processor and Meridian G55 Power Amplifier - to
    "see" if there is a "system wide" benefit.

Guess I should also look into the quality of phono plugs to use - suggestions
    for sensible priced, good quality plugs welcome.

I'm Dennis.

My inclination, if I thought that doubling was a definite improvement, would be to find a heavier cable, especially given the difficulties of connecting in the phono plugs. There must be some heavy duty stuff made.

I'm Pete.

Hi Dennis

The problem I seem to be having at the moment is locating any solid core cable suitable for interconnects on-the-reel. All I seem to be able to find is complete cables hence my question above "If anyone knows of a similar, more "up to date" version of this solid core cable..."

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Hi All

Having experimented with double biwiring speakers, using Audioquest Rocket
    44 cable, and found the effect was that the sound produced by the speakers
    was fuller - more of everything and all a little better defined - this
    discussion finally pushed me into experimenting with what doubling an
    interconnect could do.

So I dug out my soldering kit, some phono plugs and some cable.

As it happens I had just enough of the same cable that the existing "standard"
    single stereo interconnect (see image 1 below) installed between my Meridian
    G08 CD player and Meridian G61R SL Sound Processor is made of but not quite
    the same phono plugs although they seem very similar - fairly inexpensive gold
    plated phono plugs.

Swapping the single stereo interconnect for a double stereo interconnect made
    of the same cable should make for a reasonably fair comparison.

I am not sure what Brand/Model the cable is - apart from well screened and
    insulated solid core cable, possibly Audioquest - as there are no markings on
    the cable. This may be due to age as I purchased 10 or so metres in 1998/99...

Here are some images of the cable and interconnects

1] cable construction - shown on a rule to give an idea of size

2] single and double stereo interconnects

Listening test performed by wife and son - whose hearing age is half wifes and
    mine - without them knowing in advance which interconnect was currently
    installed.

We selected the following CDs/Tracks as we were all at least slightly familiar
    with them:-

1] Steve Windwood: Higher Love, (1) Higher Love (2) Take it As It Comes

2] Eurthymics: Missionary Man, (1) Missionary Man (2) Thorn In My Side

Wife and son then left the room while I "prepared" the system.
    When I had loaded the Steve Windwood CD I waited a couple of minutes before
    asking back in them to listen - at this point they did not know if the single
    or double stereo interconnect was installed.

After we had listened to the 2 selected tracks both left the room again so that
    I could change the interconnect. Having changed to the double stereo
    interconnect we listened to the same tracks again.

Both said after a minute or so words to the effect of the sound is clearer than
    previously, a little more of everything. I have to say that I agree with them.

To confirm their findings we decided to play the Eurthymics tracks: they left
    the room and I swapped interconnects back to the single stereo.

When they returned and started listening both immediately said that they
    thought I had "done something - probably swapped cables back" as the sound now
    seemed a little more "distant" - not as clear and open as on the Steve Windwood
    CD 2nd play (using the double stereo interconnect).

Having listened to the 2 tracks they left the room and I swapped interconnects
    to the double stereo. When we started playing the CD they both said
    "That's better" and explained they thought there was more to the overall sound.

So, wife and son both hear the same sort of difference I hear between the
    single and double stereo interconnects.

We have now been using the double stereo interconnect for a few weeks and are
    still convinced that the sound is clearer, better defined.

While I am happy with my "new" double stereo interconnect I am aware that the
    cable itself is quite old. If anyone knows of a similar, more "up to date"
    version of this solid core cable - possibly 2 solid cores with 1 core being
    slightly larger than the other - I would probably be interested in giving it a
    try especially as I am now keen to try doubling the interconnects between:-

1] Pro-ject PhonoBox DS+ to Meridian G61R SL Sound Processor - will the
    LP12/Ittok/Kiseki Blue Gold Spot output benefit from this "cable doubling"?
    - should I look into replacing the LP12 phono leads as well?

2] Meridian G61R SL Sound Processor and Meridian G55 Power Amplifier - to
    "see" if there is a "system wide" benefit.

Guess I should also look into the quality of phono plugs to use - suggestions
    for sensible priced, good quality plugs welcome.
    It would have been interesting to have them leave the room, do nothing and see what they said when they came back in, as a “control”.
    Although this seems like an interesting subject, personally I would spend my money on a higher quality cable, such as an OCC copper, or silver conductor, with some decent plugs. Getting two cables into one plug just seems like too much hassle to me.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Hi Dennis

The problem I seem to be having at the moment is locating any solid core cable suitable for interconnects on-the-reel. All I seem to be able to find is complete cables hence my question above "If anyone knows of a similar, more "up to date" version of this solid core cable..."
    I'm not sure what you mean by "solid core". In my career it has always meant a single inner conductor, made from only one thick strand. Why you would want that I do not understand, unless you believe S/S to have superior sound quality.

Interconnects are likely to be moved and flexed, and multi-strand cables are made that way to make them flexible and avoid breakages.

I currently have an FM aerial connection lead which has only one central conductor, and it is vulnerable, and I am seeking some multiple strand to reduce its vulnerability.

My interconnects are all Radiospares "Low Noise" screened cable, there being two sizes, standard and a finer version, I use the standard version, and it looks very similar to that in your pictures, but of course I cannot see the detail of the inner on them.

This RS cable has a semiconducting black plastic sleeve around the transparent dielectric insulator, which must be peeled back
    when terminating, and also I recommend using meths with a toothbrush to remove traces of it from the sleeve.
    I use the finer one for my Walkman Pro.

I'm Pete.

Yes, I hear a lot of difference between multistrand and solid core cables.

I find the multistrand cables I have tried deliver a boomy, over round sound - other people who have listened to differences between cables with me have described multistrand cables as "hifi" and solid core as "realistic". I can agree with that.

I do not spend much time behind my hifi moving interconnects around and have not had any problems with solid core cables breaking in the 20+ years I have been using them. I also have to add that there is a little flex in solid core cables - but one should still handle fairly carefully, no pulling on the cable to remove.

Guess I'll have to email Audioquest to find out if they can supply contact details of UK/European stockists of any of their off the reel solid core cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast