+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doubling interconnects

I'm Matt.

Default Doubling interconnects

I read this article by Doug Schroeder and was a bit dubious but thought I'd give it a go.

https://www.dagogo.com/audio-blast-s...ect-placement/

I had a matching spare set of stereo interconnects so all I needed were the 2-into-1 adaptors which I found on the bay for under £5 for 5 (you need 4 per source).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RCA-Male-...72.m2749.l2649

I use a Bluesound Node 2i into CR Kalypso amp connected to Boenicke W5 speakers. I first played a test track - "I Feel Like I'm Drowning" by Two Feet - a few times using the standard connection. I then powered everything down before doubling up the cables and re-listened.

In a word "WOW". The base was firmer, more precise and had proper pitch. Vocals were better separated from the surrounding music and locked into position. The sound stage expanded by about 25% giving a real wall of sound - extending well beyond the speakers left and right.

I initially thought this effect might just be a placebo - me wanting to hear a difference - so I reverted back to the original set-up to re-test. I wasn't being fooled - the improvement to the music was real - I couldn't believe that for £5 plus a set of cables I had brought about such a positive change.

It is definitely worth a go - your mileage may vary - as the saying goes, but in my system, in my room the changes were not subtle. I will be sticking with the double-cable connection for sure.

As the article states - you do this at your own risk - I double then triple checked all my connections before switching anything on.

I'm Geoff.

You could plug your 2 into 1 adaptors into 2 into 1 adaptors and have four cables per run .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Matt.

That's the next step but for the time being I'm pleased with the way my music sounds exactly as it is. I'll look into better quality adaptors as this is possibly the weakest link.

I'm John.

I recall many years ago, making a DIY Interconnect out of a cheapo screened wire.
    I ran two wires parallel, soldered the two centre cores together at the RCA.
    So as a result it was a single plug cable.
    A long time has passed, but I do recall, there was a very noticeable increase in the bass output.
    I can't say if I can recall the cable being a overall improvement.
    With improved systems and better quality cables available today, I'm sure there will be a much more accurate description of the effect to be offered.
    Bring on the 'Siamese Spotfires'

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I recall many years ago, making a DIY Interconnect out of a cheapo screened wire.
    A long time has passed, but I do recall, there was a very noticeable increase in the bass output.
    With improved systems and better quality cables available today, I'm sure there will be a much more accurate description of the effect to be offered.
    It just got more copper and probably more capacitance, which will certainly effect the overall sound. As to whether its better, who knows.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Yes, the logical next step would be to do away with the adaptors and connect the 2 parallel cables into one socket. The only thing for me is that I would be stripping 8 good connector sockets with no guaranty the sound would be any better - it could even be worse.

I'm John.

My thoughts on this at present are based from a experience of rejecting cables for their effects on SQ.
    I today seem to find that the £70 - £120 a 1 metre pair purchase region, is offering to me a cable I can contently live with in my system, be it a new or used purchase.

With the above in mind, and if being really analytical, OCC is offering the most desired SQ as a interface wire.

To carry out a Siamese Interconnect exercise, and give it a worthy evaluation that I would be willing to recommend, would be a outlay I would need to give a consideration more than usual.

If I am going to use a Same Brand Cable at all interfaces, then a re-purpose of one interface to produce a Siamese Interface is a more doable option.

I feel confident the Bass Notes will increase in heft as I recall in the past, I would not be too sure of any other perceived improvements to predict.

I have a Soldering Iron, I have Silver Solder, I have RCA Plugs as well as OCC Cable.
    Who Knows what one can get up to after being beaten mindlessly with Xmas TV.

I'm Steve.

Both my pre and power have two pairs of sockets so tried it with 2 pairs of VdH First Metals. No change, no magic moment, no eureka.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Deleted.

I've just had a read of the linked article and it does seem to be based on some very questionable basics. One that stood out to me straight away is this:

The doubling of interconnects is seen by the source component as though driving interconnects twice the length...
    Now as far as I am aware the above just isn't true and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between series and parallel connection.

As an aside, when one looks at the products produced by the larger market players, one often finds that (underneath all the marketing) the more expensive interconnect and speaker cables just offer more conductor.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Plus I can think of an easier way to make the interconnect appear to be twice as long

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast