+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka MP200 or refurb LDN Decca Maroon?

I'm Claire.

Default Nagaoka MP200 or refurb LDN Decca Maroon?

I have a NAS Spacedeck with an early mentor arm, I purchased the arm from here many moons ago. My turntable has been on the back-burner for a few years but having finally eradicated the terrible hum, I’m loving listening to vinyl again.

The Grado gold cartridge is on its last legs (also purchased from here) and to be honest I fancied a change. From trawling the internet it looks like Nagaoka cartridges come highly recommended for the NAS. But before I go ahead, I also have an old LDN Decca Maroon cartridge (yet again purchased from here &#129315 sat in a drawer doing nothing. I’ve previously looked into getting it refurbished and the price is comparable to a new Nagaoka, so i’m hoping someone with more knowledge than me, which shouldn’t be difficult, can lend me some advice.

If it matters, I don’t have an audiophile system, but it works for me.

Thanks

I'm Charlie.

Get John Wright to rebuild the Decca - it will work a treat in your Mentor arm. Just make sure that your records are scrupulously clean (ie cleaned on a wet vacuum RCM). You will be transported to a different LP playing experience.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Geoff.

I'll second that.

I'd far sooner have any Decca than any Nagoaka. Yes, I know the Nagoakas work just fine, but I just don't find their sound all that interesting.

The Maroon is also an appreciating asset, so you'd not lose money in the long term.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Louis.

Default Decca!!!

I have a Nagaoka MP-500. Nice sounding cartridge. But I also have a London Jubilee and a Maroon. The Nagaoka seems to sit in its cradle. Cant remember the last time I used it.

That's a hint.

I'm Louis.

Oh....someone above mentions clean records for the various London/Deccas....absolutely true. If you play a less-than-spotless record with any of the London/Deccas, you will hear almost every speck of dust. But you also hear all the music hidden in the groove.

I'm James.

The Nagaoka and Decca are very different sounding cartridges indeed. The Nagaoka will track better and sound fuller and smoother but the Decca will take you there and give you an immediate dynamic analogue experience.

As Charlie mentioned send it to John Wright in Bridgnorth and get him to service it/ sort it and you will have a superb sounding cartridge.

I have heard both and would take the Decca especially if our using a NA TT.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by louie3 View Post
    But you also hear all the music hidden in the groove.
    If the stylus hasn't hopped into the next door track (if others are to be believed). Never heard a properly set up Decca so no idea what I'm missing but they have a fearsome online rep for mistracking.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    If the stylus hasn't hopped into the next door track (if others are to be believed). Never heard a properly set up Decca so no idea what I'm missing but they have a fearsome online rep for mistracking.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Not sure why mine mistracked on certain records. I tried changing VTF and VTA and adding mass to headshell but it occasionally still "hopped" into the next groove. It was the conical stylus so not sure if the better fine line stylus are better?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 16-12-2019 at 21:59.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    If the stylus hasn't hopped into the next door track (if others are to be believed). Never heard a properly set up Decca so no idea what I'm missing but they have a fearsome online rep for mistracking
    There's a lot off rumour mongering about Deccas, take it with a pinch of salt!

I've owned eleven Decca cartridges and never had any more mistracking than could be expected with other cartridge types. Carefully set up in a suitable arm they track well. I've not had reliablity issues either.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There's a lot off rumour mongering about Deccas, take it with a pinch of salt!

I've owned eleven Decca cartridges and never had any more mistracking than could be expected with other cartridge types. Carefully set up in a suitable arm they track well. I've not had reliablity issues either.
    +1 from another long time (40 years) Decca user
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast