+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphene Coating for the DIY'er

I'm John.

Default Graphene Coating for the DIY'er

I have been interested in Graphene for some time, definitely since I learnt of it as a material that could enhance Audio.
    The knowledge of its use in cables production was only recently made known to me, which triggered my curiosity.
    I have done a little Google aided research, to gather how it was being utilised, and if it was improving conductivity in metals, as I have always held onto the knowledge it is a very good conductor.

As a result, I have found 'White Papers' explaining the outcomes of experiments that confirm it is a substance that improves conductivity, it would appear only slightly, but as a Global usage, these improvements are substantial. The word 'Slightly' is my very layman term as a interpretation of the conclusion within the White Paper.
    The White Papers are supported by equations that I dare not pretend to understand.

With me being the 'eternal optimist' two thoughts evolved,
    Thought One, , maybe that report of this 'slight improvement' could mean exactly that when put into a Audio Context,
    maybe it allows for a change in a presentation, that is perceived as improvement in the SQ.

Thought Two, , is it possible to produce a,
    'DIY Copper - Graphene Coated Cable, well the answer at present, but not fully understood,
    seems to be 'YES'.
    Disclaimer !!, I am viewing Google supplied information, and how accurate it is, will need to be confirmed.
    What I have seen so far is a operation that is quite appealing, this is where a Sheathed Cable has had a retro applied nano coating of Graphene.

On deconstruction of the cable, when the wire is observed removed from the sheathing it is evident that the nano coating has migrated onto the whole of the wire surface.
    Another additional benefit witnessed, is that the nano coating of approximately,
    a 2 nm thickness, is also a fully functioning insulator, removing the need for a sheathing.
    In the same footage the Graphene nano coating was also shown applied to a variety of metals in wire form.

I would like to think that this is a DIY pursuit worth pursuing to prove the feasibility of the processes required.

I am now 'off on one' working out how to Graphene nano coat, RCA Connectors, Valve Pins and Bases, IC Pins and Sockets.
    "Calm Down Terry, Calm Down"
    Last edited by JohnG; 30-11-2019 at 09:28.

I'm James.

Interesting that is acting simultaneously as a conductor and an insulator
    Summat amiss here, but carry on and enjoy the journey

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm John.

The Link refers to a easy method to apply a Graphene Coating.
    I like the term 'easy', if this relates to having access to a Laboratory and the facilities,
    or whether it is a 'Blue Peter Project' or 'Instructables' will have to be determined.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ion_Prevention

I'm Deleted.

Graphene is a product that has long been promised but has yet to be produced in any meaningful amounts. However, because of the ‘buzz’ surrounding this material, many manufacturers now claim to use it. In essence, graphene is just very fine graphite powder, but just adding graphite powder to oil doesn’t make that oil a superconductor, or anything of the sort - it just makes it into oil with a bit of inert powder in it. By the same token, adding it to the plastic in an injection moulded speaker cone doesn’t imbue that cone with super strength. In all cases I have encountered, in audio at least, the term ‘graphene’ could just as easily be replaced with ‘talc’, a much more commonly used inert filler.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

You get it in golf balls, Callaway use it.

I'm jamie.

ok so hands up who now is shaking talc over their cable???
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Doesn't everyone?

I'm John.

I only Talc my Cables when they have been removed from the Bath and Towel Dried.

Joking aside, it looks like Graphene is here to stay, the science is backing it and showing it has a purpose.
    There are uses proposed for it, beyond the gimmicky ones.
    What matters in such cases, is whether the production of materials and impact of those materials in use, is seen to be a satisfactory offset against the common alternatives.
    These calculations are usually presented as a benefit to be had from a Global usage.
    If a offset is that certain niche products can benefit from a rare material that has become a common produced material, then the better for all.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    You get it in golf balls, Callaway use it.
    Indeed, it’s use is largely a marketing gimmick and, as we all know, the world of audio does love it’s marketing gimmicks.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast