+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mcintosh MC1000

I'm Jesper.

Default Mcintosh MC1000

Hi fellow enthusiast

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Mcintosh mc1000 at a good price
    But there is not many reviews, just tech and sales ads...

I’m the happy owner of a Bryston 14B SST2, but is of course curious....is theses 30 year old Mc’s better!?

Any experience and general knowledge about these would be greatly appreciated

I'm Jesper.

Oh forgot to mention they are in god conditions, one owner

BUT I can’t really try them/ hear them

I'm fuckoff.

Are you willing to take the risk of being disappointed? Can you afford it?

Also, if they’re that age, they’ll be over / due a service at some point soon, regardless of their condition.

As for how they sound, I’ve no idea.

I'm Mike.

D'you really want/need 1000 watts? Don't know anything about these, except that they were introduced in the early nineties and that a pair are on HiFi Shark for £3900 at the mo'. They'll be different to the Bryston, I guess, but sufficiently different to warrant a big outlay on a 'punt' (unless they're that cheap and in such good condition you won't lose on them)? Lovely looking, but it's the sound, reliability and cost of ownership in electricity and maintenance that are important, I feel.

I'm Deleted.

I would throw a further spanner into the works by saying that, in my experience, the sound of Bryston and McIntosh amplifiers could hardly be more diametrically opposed. All the Bryston gear I have heard has been super lean and taught and all the McIntosh has been very rosy and warm (syrupy comes to mind).
    Account Deleted

I'm Phil.

some thoughts here re the MC1000

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...1000-pwr-amp-s

I note you are a happy owner of your bryston which presumably have been reliable

30 year old amps may be more unreliable ?? have you got a good service agent nearby ?47 kg [ not sure if thats for both ] is a whole lot of amp to take to the repairer!

you have some great brands like gato , why don`t you try them ? light , good service and sound great
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I would throw a further spanner into the works by saying that, in my experience, the sound of Bryston and McIntosh amplifiers could hardly be more diametrically opposed. All the Bryston gear I have heard has been super lean and taut and all the McIntosh has been very rosy and warm (syrupy comes to mind).
    I just can't imagine a 1000 watt amp (s/s...I think that's right but maybe not) being 'syrupy'. Lesser powered valved amps, maybe, though not sure McIntosh are known for their mellifluous presentation. Have only heard one, mind you, in a pretty high end system locally, so just guessing here.

I'm James.

Don't think the watts are the important part, it's the circuit and implementation. IME (fairly limited) YNWaN is close concerning McIntosh, though I'd use 'rich' as a more positive attribute, I like that kind of presentation. When I've heard them Bryston have always been the epitome of solid state sound, also a positive but certainly a different one and not to my personal taste/YMMV, plus all the usual caveats.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jesper.

Hi again & thanks for your inputs

My interest in these big old boys, 94 kg in total, stem from having had McIntosh amp’s in my system before only they were too small/underpowered not to mention equipment with fan’s, but we loved the broad warm sound(my girlfriend & I)
    my ATC’s needs plenty of power, not so much to drive my neighbors away but for normal levels, my Bryston is the first amp IMO that’s been up for the task

They are currently undergoing a full service check at one of the best audio repair shops in Denmark
    Furthermore my system could do with some warmth, all my current equipment is geared towards max resolution/“insight” that’s great an all, but on some recordings it can be to much IMO

Plus this was the top amp for a decade from one of the great brands in high end Audio...how bad could it be

I was hoping for more responses from people whit real experience with these BIGmac’s, as I lovingly call them, as there a few real reviews out there... might be they are as good/the same as there new top line 1200 & 2000

I'm Jesper.

I think Jazid is on the right track
    It’s not about the 1kw, it’s about they represent the opposite sound signature as the Bryston and what that could do for my setup
    I certainly don’t need 1kw but most McIntosh amps have fan’s and that’s not on my list of good sounding gear, like noisy cd drives ore humming power supply’s
    Let’s face it we’re all just big kids in an newer ending search for “the ultimate sound” + a LOVE of great gear

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast