+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drilling a hole for tonearm

I'm Mike.

Default Drilling a hole for tonearm

My NAS Interspace armboard and my new to me Nima tonearm have been sent to NAS so they can see how best to fit a new armboard for me - or add to/adjust the current one. So this is a good chance to finally get around to fitting my Jelco 750 to my newly acquired (6 months ago ?) Garrard 401. I have an old SME type wooden plinth - lead lined. So I need to drill a new hole for the Jelco, I have a template, so the distance is fine, but I'm just wondering does the vertical placement matter? Obviously it will sit at somewhere around the top right hand corner, but how specific does it have to be? And how do I know exactly where to place it? Is it slightly above right hand corner? Or may'be right on the corner, or below?

You can see from pics that right on the corner the armboard would be a bit too close to the 401 to fit exactly at 229.

IMG_20191204_214752930_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    IMG_20191204_214759261_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    IMG_20191204_214816691_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Charlie.

Use the setting in the middle picture ie with the pivot to spindle at 229 mm. The bottom picture setting will mean that the geometry will be wrong.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Martin.

Is it for a 9” Jelco as I thought they were 214mm spindle to pivot?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Is it for a 9” Jelco as I thought they were 214mm spindle to pivot?
    Yes 9", I did see somewhere on the interweb a similar discussion, mentioned info from the Jelco website giving the 'effective length' of the 750 as 229, whatever effective length is. EDIT - Just measured the distance between spindle and middle of armboard on my old NAS and it is indeed 214, then I had the bright idea of measuring the distance on the Jelco 'ruler' - protractor? Whatever its called, that was 214mm as well! So 229m being the 'effective length, I guess is with headshell?
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 04-12-2019 at 23:30.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Use the setting in the middle picture ie with the pivot to spindle at 229 mm. The bottom picture setting will mean that the geometry will be wrong.
    OK thanks, that would mean the armboard set slightly down from the corner.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    OK thanks, that would mean the armboard set slightly down from the corner.
    Just double check before you drill as I'm sure they're not 229mm....

I'm Mike.

Anyone else offer any advice? I really want to play these classic James Brown 70s lps I just off Ebay!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Anyone else offer any advice? I really want to play these classic James Brown 70s lps I just off Ebay!
    Just in case you do not realise the cut out in the Jelco mounting boss should be facing the front of the plinth, it is for the arm lift, you need it in the correct position before you mark and drill the mounting holes for the bolts.

Once you have drilled a hole for the arm shaft (slightly oversized), offer up the arm sat in the mounting boss onto the plinth and then use the template again to get the centre of the arm spindle exactly at the 229 mark, you may need to find a way to extend the platter spindle so to keep the platter parallel to the platter. Once you have done this with the mounting boss cut out in the correct position you can mark the holes for mounting bolts.

I hope the above makes sense.

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm paul.

I thought it was agreed it's 214 pivot to spindle, effective length is pivot to stylus. When you say vertical position, do you mean with the plinth standing on the front edge like a vertical turntable that would probably be linear tracking. I usually use a pencil to draw an arc at the pivot to spindle distance then decide where the arm works best, for example to check the tail end of the arm doesn't foul on anything like a cover and check the headshell doesn't foul on the controls.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Martin.

Yep not sure where spindle pivot of 229 keeps coming from

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast