+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drilling a hole for tonearm

I'm Martin.

I wouldn’t use the set screws into a “thread” in the wood anyway, however you can get inserts that would then take the set screws directly.

As for screw holes it depends what size the screws are, maybe just a bradawl is needed.

Don’t take this the wrong way but step away from the drill until you’re sure.....

I'm Mike.

Got the motor unit sitting on sorbothane balls in each corner, feels secure and nicely damped.
    401111 by Mike Van, on Flickr

The old SME cut out looks like it just had screws or alan bolts going directly into the wood, so I think that's what I'll do.

401 + jelco by Mike Van, on Flickr
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I wouldn’t use the set screws into a “thread” in the wood anyway, however you can get inserts that would then take the set screws directly.

As for screw holes it depends what size the screws are, maybe just a bradawl is needed.

Don’t take this the wrong way but step away from the drill until you’re sure.....
    If you look at pic above the sme cut out looks like it was just screwed directly into plinth.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

That looks like an SME2000 plinth.
    Is it well damped?
    The old Garrard decks acquired their reputation for rumble because of flimsy plinths such as the SME2000.
    Garrard used to mount them to a concrete slab to test them in the factory.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    That looks like an SME2000 plinth.
    Is it well damped?
    The old Garrard decks acquired their reputation for rumble because of flimsy plinths such as the SME2000.
    Garrard used to mount them to a concrete slab to test them in the factory.
    I meant having the sorbothane balls in each corner makes the plinth feel secure yet damped. This particular plinth has been modded by previous owner who lead lined the base of it. It is only a temporary plinth and if I think I like the idler sound then I'll buy a plywood plinth.

I'm Martin.

Are you sure the screws didn’t have nuts underneath the plinth?

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Jelco 750D arm has an effective length (stylus to pivot) of 229mm, with an overhang of 15mm. Thus the TT spigot to arm pivot distance is 214mm (229 - 15 = 214mm). The installation protractor is marked with the effective length of the arm you are wanting to install, hence in your case '229'.

The null radii (on the alignement protractor) will be 59.1mm and 112.5mm.

Where you drill the hole for the pickup arm won't matter, as long as the distance from the TT spigot is 214mm. Choose anywhere on the arc that doesn't cause the counterweight end of the arm to foul the lid of the plinth, but is not too far in a clockwise sense that makes the pickup difficult to cue.
    Technically speaking that protractor is bollocks. It's not for setting the pivot distance but to set the overhang if the headshell has slotted holes to mount the cart. But how can you accurately set it when the tone arm base is fixed to the plinth.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mike.

Tonearm base in place, all looks ok I think, not 100% sure on cartridge alignment, besides I now have another another hurdle, I cannot raise the tonearm high enough for it to be parallel with the platter, as the tonearm cable has a right angle din plug and it cannot pass through the mounting collar, needs another 5mm at least, so gonna have to buy another cable with a straight din plug. Another few days until I can hear those James Brown records I got off Ebay, *** ****!

I'm Mike.

IMG_20191208_233339337_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

Well, the tonearm is not quite high enough, but it''ll do. The cart alignment seems almost spot on. I first played a disco/funk track by Donald Byrd - Dominoes - itself a very uplifting fine example of the genre, and it slightly blew me away, the bass is so good, the whole sound has a propulsive quality, of course I am listening to it through the JVC, so much of it will be from that, but first impressions are this thing boogies seriously, the sound is visceral, has quite an impact. Needs refining, but think I'm a fan.

I'm Martin.

Looks good. If the arm is a bit low at the rear it will most likely up the bass a bit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast