+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SME Leaves the Tonearm Business

I'm Graham.

The impending all new Garrard turntable is likely to be another factor in this decision. I understand that Garrard will be priced under SME, with, i suspect, many being sold with a supplied tonearm.

I'm Michael.

I pity the person who has just finished restoring a Garrard 301 or 401 and was looking to buy a new SME tonearm to complement the finished turntable.
    Hopefully, they wouldn’t have cut the arm board out for an SME, unless the are going to buy a used one!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mbic View Post
    I pity the person who has just finished restoring a Garrard 301 or 401 and was looking to buy a new SME tonearm to complement the finished turntable.
    Hopefully, they wouldn’t have cut the arm board out for an SME, unless the are going to buy a used one!
    New prices have been utterly ridiculous for a long time, I doubt many people here would be traipsing off to buy a new one anyway. And it's not as if there's a shortage of arms out there, SME or otherwise.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I doubt many people here would be traipsing off to buy a new one anyway. And it's not as if there's a shortage of arms out there, SME or otherwise.
    As I understand it they have almost 800 arms on back order alone. Not a huge amount but at their prices a substantial amount of money involved. But as you say probably not many on here.
    Last edited by prestonchipfryer; 06-12-2019 at 20:33. Reason: literal
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Deleted.

The way this news has been received by the audio forums (in the UK at least) makes me smile ruefully as it has, almost universally, been interpreted as a negative move for SME and the analogue market in general. However, what SME actually appear to be saying is that, contrary to predictions of impending analogue gloom, they intend to significantly step up production of turntables, also including new models (quite possibly including associated brands) and they need their arm production to supply these new products. So, in essence, they don’t think they will have sufficient ‘spare’ arms to supply their OEM customers. So far from being a negative for future analogue support, I see this as an affirmation of continued, and growing, support for all things analogue .
    Last edited by YNWaN; 06-12-2019 at 20:51.
    Account Deleted

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The way this news has been received by the audio forums (in the UK at least) makes me smile ruefully as it ha, almost universally been interpreted as a negative move for SME and the analogue market in general. However, what SME actually appear to be saying is that, contrary to predictions of impending analogue gloom, they intend to significantly step up production of turntables, also including new models (quite possibly including associated brands) and they need their arm production to supply these these new products. So, in essence, they don’t think they will have sufficient ‘spare’ arms to supply their OEM customers. So far from being a negative for future analogue support, I see this as an affirmation of continued, and growing, support for all things analogue .

That I would say is pretty much what is happening.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    That’s a shame.

Ive had many 3009s and 3012s and enjoyed them a lot.

I only owned one modern one, a “5”.

I loved it. It looked really great, and as it was used on a fantastic turntable, a VOYD 3 motor, it sounded fantastic too.

If a big company such as this decides it isn’t viable any more, then the end really is near for turntables. Do you think?

Wir a’ doomed I tell ye....dooomed !
    I got hold of another Voyd last summer and at the same time an offer for a V I couldn't refuse!
    And yes it does sound marvellous, very happy and this is going nowhere anytime soon.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The way this news has been received by the audio forums (in the UK at least) makes me smile ruefully as it has, almost universally, been interpreted as a negative move for SME and the analogue market in general. However, what SME actually appear to be saying is that, contrary to predictions of impending analogue gloom, they intend to significantly step up production of turntables, also including new models (quite possibly including associated brands) and they need their arm production to supply these new products. So, in essence, they don’t think they will have sufficient ‘spare’ arms to supply their OEM customers. So far from being a negative for future analogue support, I see this as an affirmation of continued, and growing, support for all things analogue .
    Makes a lot of sense, esp. if their arm manufacturing capacity is fixed. Amazing, though, that they're expecting vastly increased complete record player sales at those prices; maybe okay now, but when the £ appreciates.......?

I'm Nari.

I have been told that there will be some major revisions to the turntables in the near future with a new power supply and motor etc, the problem is that the turntables were left unchanged for years and certainly makes it hard for average joe bloggs to justify the price increase. The new revisions may help the main problem I see that for many with 30k to spend on a turntable the model 30/2 just seems like old hat been there done that kind of thing. If the turntables were launched today they could be accepted at the new prices as not many can offer there level of build. I have many friends who do drop that kind of money on a record deck, but sme generally there first call as it looks kind of dated and too conservative. The brand have never really appealed to the real big spenders in my opinion those guys would rather buy a Tech Das or a Kronos which is my opinion are no better and in many cases just not as good especially in terms of fit and finish.

Maybe a refresh will help considering some of many flaky new kids who offer very little in the way of fit and finish and support there are alot worse ways to spend ones money. Somehow the current line up needs to be refreshed an re introduced, I wish them well as there is certainly something in the brand. I am one of the few who love the turntables and would be very happy to pay the current prices when I investigate what is actually on the market.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm peter.

the arm tubes are made in the usa may be the pound V dollar may have finaly hit home,not every one can pay out 10k on a deck , i think it is a mistake,one which sme my regret ,after all they own garrard now as well,
    pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast