+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Moving magnet carts , can they -

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Mk.IV Deccas and forerunners, to me at least, seem to have a 'bigger' sound than the Mk.V Londons onwards. I've not heard the Reference, but assuming it is developed from the Mk.V, it is unlikely to have the character of a Mk.IV. Perhaps this is why people are prepared to pay the money for the older ones.
    I think it's because of the mass and rigidity of the body; which is why IMO my Decca (MkV) Blue, once rebuilt, retipped, damped and fitted into a wooden body sounded every bit as good as my SC4e. The London Reference has a solid machined body and I imagine is much more precisely set-up and aligned than the older cartridges.

I'm David.

I think the material they made the bodies of the SC4E and C4E has a big impact on the sound. The refurb cost is also quite low, albeit in my case John Wright didn’t think anything needed doing other than a clean and realignment which was £60. As far as compliance is concerned I have used my C4E in a Graham 2.2 and in a Fidelity Research FR64fx with an Orsonic head shell. Both worked well though I tend to use it in the FR more because of the unusual 3 pin wiring which was easier to deal with in the Orsonic (I asked AudioSilente to solder me up a three pin to four pin set of cartridge leads which work very well).

David Whistance

David Whistance

I'm Mike.

I've recently move over to using MC after using MM most of my life, my dad had a dynavector high output back in the late 70's and it never really sounded that good, maybe it was the system i don't know. In the MM world my favourite cart was the Ortofon VMS30 Mk2 it sat well in my system and gave a good account of it's self, earlier this year after reading many threads on here and other forums the MC itch was needing to be scratched, more out of curiosity rather than any dissatisfaction i had with the VMS30, anyway the company i work for has an account with Audio Technica so after speaking to a few folks decided to get the ART9.

My set up stayed the same with the only difference being the Firebottle OTP mk3 being switched to its MC setting, initially i was disappointed and although the ART9 was a little better especially in the mid frequencies it didn't blow me away, i stuck with it as i was told they can take a long time 30+ hrs to run in and I'm glad I did as wow what a cartridge and easily head and shoulders above the VMS30 with instruments being able to be located within the soundstage with pinpoint accuracy, very deep controlled bass and a huge expansive sound stage that seems to defy the size of my room.

I may have just been very lucky and put the cart on an arm and phono stage that just happened to suite it, i don't know but my question "which is best" has been answered.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Louis.

Default Deccas and tonearms

Read this thread with interest. I went through several toneams trying to get the Deccas sounding right...Graham 2.2-9 inch, SME 309...too light, various Audio Technca vintage models. Ultimately found a Dynavector 507. VOILA!!!! Perfect match of mass and easily adjustable vta....but it is HEAVY....can't use it on my suspended table (Oracle Delphi MK 5/6). On either my custom plinth Lenco or a completely custom VPI-based belt drive, the Dynavector is wonderful. Easy to swap cartridges once you get the set up fixed on the head shell. I understand the DV 505 also mates well with carts needing higher mass.

I have a London Jubilee that has been re-tipped with a Shibata stylus....this was the cause of my great high mass tonearm hunt...the DV 507 handles this bitchy cartridge just fine. This Jubilee absolutely hated the Graham, and of course the SME. It almost worked on the heavier Audio Technicas....almost.

My experience is that any of the Deccas need 20+ grams of tonearm mass, however you might achieve that....I understand some folks run Jubilees on Grahams, but I could never get that combination to work for me.

Louis

I'm Louis.

FWIW: I do NOT suggest replacing the stock stylus on a Jubilee with a Shibata shape. Its just too twitchy bitchy. I have no doubt the Reference is wonderful, but I doubt I will ever hear it in my system. As several others have noted, John Wright's rebuilds (which is something of a misnomer) are the way to go unless your money belt is much fatter than mine.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by louie3 View Post

My experience is that any of the Deccas need 20+ grams of tonearm mass, however you might achieve that....I understand some folks run Jubilees on Grahams, but I could never get that combination to work for me.

Louis
    Interesting, thanks. I didn't know that about Deccas. At 11g, the Five would not have been compatible then. No idea about the Graham as I can't find any info on their eff. mass, as I was rather interested in a 12" one (B44 Phantom) to replace my 12" Ace Anna (about 14 g). I was also considering the Reed 3P, which I know to be 19g. My K.Urushi much prefers my gimballed 12" PU7 to my unipivot Ace Anna, so am a bit confused here; by choice, I s'pose.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by louie3 View Post
    Read this thread with interest. I went through several toneams trying to get the Deccas sounding right...Graham 2.2-9 inch, SME 309...too light, various Audio Technca vintage models. Ultimately found a Dynavector 507. VOILA!!!! Perfect match of mass and easily adjustable vta....but it is HEAVY....can't use it on my suspended table (Oracle Delphi MK 5/6). On either my custom plinth Lenco or a completely custom VPI-based belt drive, the Dynavector is wonderful. Easy to swap cartridges once you get the set up fixed on the head shell. I understand the DV 505 also mates well with carts needing higher mass.

I have a London Jubilee that has been re-tipped with a Shibata stylus....this was the cause of my great high mass tonearm hunt...the DV 507 handles this bitchy cartridge just fine. This Jubilee absolutely hated the Graham, and of course the SME. It almost worked on the heavier Audio Technicas....almost.

Louis
    My Decca worked OK to a point on my VPI but there was lots of speaker cone wobble evident which I have not had with any other cartridge. The Decca also struggled to track well at all times but apart from that is sounded very good indeed. I agree I think they need a high mass tonearm to get the best out of them.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I didn't know that about Deccas. At 11g, the Five would not have been compatible then. No idea about the Graham as I can't find any info on their eff. mass, as I was rather interested in a 12" one (B44 Phantom) to replace my 12" Ace Anna (about 14 g). I was also considering the Reed 3P, which I know to be 19g. My K.Urushi much prefers my gimballed 12" PU7 to my unipivot Ace Anna, so am a bit confused here; by choice, I s'pose.
    I've used Deccas with a Hadcock and a Mission 774 so there isn't a high mass rule at all. Damping helps.

FLSs are harder to get working right, but no pain, no gain as they say.

FWIW I have been using my 40 year old A&R P77 for the last year while my Esco Troika sleeps in a drawer. I had the P77 retipped with a hyper elliptical tip and also a new, different shaped magnet but using the original cantilever. I left it to the taste of the retipper, an Italian guy. It came back with appreciably higher output and just sounds great: deeper bass, more body, more relaxed and “right”. I have just sent off a second P77 for a similar treatment (with different and hopefully better magnet this time) . I believe the hyperelliptical tip majors on lower background noise and meatier sound than the detail at all cost microline tips but gone is the anaemic bass light sound of my retipped Troika. I dunno, maybe my valve phono is happier with a higher input signal and no step-up between it and my Linn, Ittok.

I do have an unused A&R PN7 replacement stylus so I can easily compare the before and after the retip job. There is absolutely no comparison and the original P77 was well loved by many and it certainly works for me.

Yes, of course I am deaf but also much happier with my system, at least for now.
    Last edited by Chris; 16-12-2019 at 20:22.

I'm John.

I would be interested to know who carried out the work on your A&R.
    It is one I have held onto and would be happy to give it a go once more as a MM Cartridge.
    I have seen much said about it paired with the Jelco SAS 1 Stylus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast