+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving magnet carts , can they -

I'm Philip.

Default Moving magnet carts , can they -

Sound as good as moving coil carts ? .

I'm starting to wonder if moving coils are worth the faff . Has anyone gone from a moving coil to a decent moving magnet ( 2M black , Nag 500 , VM760 ect ) and been happy ? .

Tell me about your experience and see if you can help me with a Christmas present to myself .

I'm Grant.

much depends on sound you like, type of stage/sut etc and types of music, so it can be difficult to be clearcut.
    I used an mc for quite a while but im back on mm's. they suit me better. even my shure m55e(original) is to me, better than the mc's ive had or mostly heard, bu its a particular sound others might not like so much. My B&O sp1 is superb cart as well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Charlie.

Philip,

If you have a few minutes spare, you can read Rauliregas' thread on Audiogon (over 20 million reads). It's all in there

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...hen-we-have-mc

I have a few of the cartridges mentioned eg Garrott P77i, Ortofon M20FL and AKG P8ES. They all sound pretty good.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Laurie.

Excellent article , that’s what I call thorough. I’ve had 4 of those mentioned, fave was Reson Reca, ( curious to hear again) still use a nag mp500.
    I remember when mc were considered strange Japanese exotica.

I'm Steve.

Had the Len Gregory Musicmaker moving iron for a few years and enjoyed it but with an Ortofon Jubilee and a Koetsu Black it's MC all the way for me.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Deleted.

The answer, for me, is ultimately no. However, I think the low output variants of all the MC cartridges I have heard (where there is a low and higher output version) have significantly outperformed their higher output versions.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

IME, it is easier to get an MM sounding good, (usually all it involves is a generic 47k loading and 100pf capacitance).

Getting the best from an MC cart can take a lot more effort (particularly where it involves a SUT or headamp). A decent MM cart will often outperform a similarly priced MC using a switchable MM/MC stage, particularly when it comes to rhythm and timing. What you gain in detail is often at the expense of that elusive musicality. I am not saying that MC carts are less musical, rather it can be harder to obtain that sweet spot where it all comes together.

It has taken a lot of time to get the best out of my MC carts. Worth it? Yes but dont expect to pop on an MC and necessarily achieve audio nirvana, it might take a bit of tweaking (and box changes) to achieve it!

I note you mention the AT VM760, one step up from my fave MM the AT150Sa (all but identical to the VM750). This is an excellent MM and will give plenty of mid range MC carts stiff competition. Used into a reasonable valve MM phono stage, you will get a high quality sound that will require more cash if you want to better using an MC cart.

I'm Deleted.

I agree with all of Graham’s comments.
    Account Deleted

I'm David.

I have to say I will never go back to a MM, been using MC for 30 more years and I'd guess I could not do without the extra refinement.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Slawts View Post
    ....but with an Ortofon Jubilee and a Koetsu Black it's MC all the way for me.
    Wow; talk about chalk and cheese. In output, robust sound, and sheer musical pleasure (i.m.o., of course).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast