I thought I would share this as I have found out sometime a small change can make a big difference.

My friend Dave phoned last night for a chat and he told me of some small changes he had done with his Tannoy Kensington GR's. Dave has been a hifi listener and upgraded several times over 40 years and usually gets improvements along the way. He is the first to admit making the odd mistake, one amp proved to be a costly one of them. Anyway he had recently paid very careful attention to his speakers and sitting position as he has an awkward L shaped room. He also has placed the speakers on 40mm solid oak platforms to get better isolation (suspended floor), he gave me some oak to do the same with my Tannoy Ardens. So this morning below is what I did.

I had a little play with the speakers and got some very pleasing results. Firstly I removed all the grill covers, on Dave's recommendation, and had a quick listen and the immediate impression was more clarity, as I had expected. Also the bass is better defined.

I then put then both to the default crossover settings settings and listened again, on Kensingtons and Ardens you can increase or lower the treble, and also adjust the treble roll off, this gave what I can only describe as a smoother sound, more natural if you like.

I listened some more and while looking at them decided the tweeters were actually pointing slightly too high, I had previously tilted the speakers back so they pointed upwards to get the centre line of the tweeters pointing to my head at my listening position, I thought I had got it right. I measured the speaker front edge and lowered them by about 5-6mm, not much but this probably drops the centre line of the speaker by 9-12” at where I sit. The result of this change was quite dramatic, much better focus and separation and a more open sound stage, and I thought it already sounded good.

So for those of you who think you have it perfect think again, in my recent experience very small changes can reap a big improvement. In my case the clarity, depth, soundstage and overall presentation have all been improved by these small changes.

It just goes to show what a bit of tweaking can do. 😃