+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turntable Speed

I'm Russell.

Default Turntable Speed

I recently got a lovely Ariston RD80 and spent a bit of time at the weekend getting it set up correctly.

I’ve added my RB250 arm and an Ortofon 2M Red and have to say I really like the sound it’s giving me, however, it is running ever so slightly slow (Turntabulator App saying 0.7% at 33.1rpm).

I’ve added new oil to the bearing, lubed the motor with a couple of drops of oil as well as getting a new belt but it’s still at 33.1rpm.

Should this concern me or is it within an acceptable tolerance (app says it’s “Ideal”)? I also have a Technics SL1200 which as you would expect bang on the money with its speed as well as an RP3 and we all know Rega’s run a little fast so maybe it’s being used to these TT’s which is making the Ariston sound perhaps slower than it actually is?

Would a change of motor be worth while on such an old deck (even if I could find one) or even an upgrade?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Use the pots to adjust the speed.
    You should find them either side of of the 33/off/45 switch.
    Owner's manual is on Vinyl Engine.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Use the pots to adjust the speed.
    You should find them either side of of the 33/off/45 switch.
    Owner's manual is on Vinyl Engine.
    Thanks but I have the RD80, not the RD11. It doesn’t have that function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

0.7% is not an acceptable variance in my book. Sadly, the RD80 has a synchronous AC motor that is frequency locked and has no adjustment. The only tweak you can give it is with different belt tightnesses and thicknesses which will make a small difference, but it’s a bit hit and miss.

I had a Logic DM101 a few years back that I really liked but I got rid of it in the end as the fact that it ran slightly slow got to me in the end. I blame those damn Quartz Locked direct drives and their irritatingly precise speed stability!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Grant.

What's 0.7% in turns?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Have you tried the app on your Technics deck? I don't know this particular app but some are not known for their accuracy.

I'm steve.

Speed apps on phones are not very consistent, far better to download and print out a strobe disc and then use a 50hz strobe app, True Note is the one I use and its results are consistent and showed up the inaccuracies of the RPM speed app I’d been using previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Thanks all for the replies. In my search to 'fix' this alleged issue, I fear I have done more harm than good!

I now cannot stop the motor pulley slipping all the way down to the bottom of the spindle which in turn now stops the belt staying on the platter.

Moral to be learned me thinks -* leave well alone in future!

I'm Adam.

Sorry, just noticed you said this slowness was measured with an app. As most of these are about as much use as a one-legged man in an arse-kicking contest, I'd try it again with a proper strobe disc and a fixed frequency light source (or an oscilloscope and a test record...) before panicking.

Once you've fixed it, of course...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Andrew.

I'll come back to this tonight. I may have some tips.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread