Hi Mark

I owned Avalon Indra speakers for 8 years and was happy with them, but yearned for a speaker system that delivered a more potent mid-bass "punch!"

In 2015, I began the search for replacements, first home auditioning a pair of the larger Avalon Compas speakers, which had more potent bass, but to my ears, was not as transparent as the Indras, through the midrange and treble regions! Next came a pair of Estelon XA (kindly loaned by KOG) which also use the Accuton ceramic drive units favoured by Avalon. The wife didn't like the look of them, describing them as hideous! I too, had heard the TAD's at the Windsor Show and an extended home demonstration duly followed!

On paper, my Avalons extended to 28Hz at the bottom end, but the mid-bass punch of the TADs allowed a far more satisfying rendition of rock music. In fact, they are, for me. a perfect all-rounder and the first pair of stand-mounts that I have owned.

The dCS Vivaldi full stack is indeed my primary source, recently improved with the addition of a Mutec Ref10 Reference Clock.

I agree with the view of the OP, Flo, that the maximum system benefit is only obtained after careful attention is paid to equipment support, mains quality, room tuning and cable choice. I would also add system grounding to the equation, which can elevate performance much further!

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
Steve, I’ve heard of your speakers, in fact I’ve actually listened to them (a number of times), though only at shows. I’ve also listened to their bigger brothers - no doubt you have too. TAD do make superb speakers, I don’t think there is any question about that. In fact I’m familiar (ish) with all of your system. Presumably your primary source is the DCS gear?