View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 11.11%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 11.11%
  • 7/10

2 22.22%
  • 8/10

3 33.33%
  • 9/10

1 11.11%
  • 10/10

1 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, December 2019: Alan Parsons Project - 'I Robot'

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This Album Club choice suggestion has only been up for one day, so it is not surprising that there has not been much of a response as yet. The poll is open for 30 days, which gives those interested plenty of time to comment and vote.

The whole 'point' of the Album Club is to either introduce music that although popular, might have passed Members by, or to introduce them to new music; something that is, as you say, 'left field' and perhaps challenging.

You say you have responded, but as of this post no vote has been registered. If you think little of this month's Album Club choice, say so and vote.

We look forward to your Album Club choice in February 2020. From your comments so far I'm expecting it to be something unfamiliar to Members, and something to shake us out of our stupor and lack of imagination.
    I can see my vote - it was a 4 (and I voted before I wrote my previous post). I didn’t realise the thread had only been up for a day though, so apologies for that.

I like the idea of an album club but I just don’t see the point of posting albums (or artists) that the majority probably already know (or should do). For example, I like a bit of Hawkwind* and the Velvet Underground**, but I wouldn’t post albums by either of those artists as they are really well known and I would expect most here to have already formed a view as to whether they are the sort of thing they like, or not.

* I haven’t listened to any Hawkwind in ages, I must give my copy of PXR5 a spin, also Hawklords .

**Although I recently requested Velvet Underground tracks at two different audio shows (I was asked what I would like them to play) and in both cases the people running the rooms had never heard of them!
    ——-

I note your sarcasm Barry, a bit low for a moderator don’t you think? It’s you who is referring to a ‘lack of imagination’, not me! However, if you wish to take umbrage at a comment not even referring to a post of yours then please feel free!
    Last edited by YNWaN; 03-12-2019 at 16:33.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

not heard this, or i dont recall if i have. app was never on my menu but will give it a spin later as i have tidal at moment. i doubt i will like it but you never know
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I quite agree Barry.

I could have easily chosen something completely new, challenging or otherwise, but I decided after some careful thought to choose a record that stands on its own merits and has done not only for me but many others, and hopefully will give those that have not heard it before some listening pleasure. As for Mark(WYNaN) classifying Alan Parson Project as Prog Rock I would urge others to disregard that unsympathetic classification, there are some excellent songs on the album and a couple of very good instrumentals on it. It would be nice if people just participated, listened, and made comments on what they heard and refrained from being negative about what has been chosen just because it is not this or that, or what they would choose.
    Apologies Adrian if APP do not fit within the descriptor of ‘Prog’, I have always thought of them in that manner. However, earlier requests for ‘Album Club’ comments have been for more contentious posts and my comments were posted with that in mind - no personal slur was intended (and I quite agree that the musicianship is first rate).
    Last edited by YNWaN; 04-12-2019 at 09:59. Reason: Oops, I called Adrian Barry!
    Account Deleted

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Apologies Barry if APP do not fit within the descriptor of ‘Prog’, I have always thought of them in that manner. However, earlier requests for ‘Album Club’ comments have been for more contentious posts and my comments were posted with that in mind - no personal slur was intended (and I quite agree that the musicianship is first rate).
    Mark, you are muddling me with Barry, I am Adrian. Anyway the point I was trying to make is that in my view or understanding is the Album Club is for anyone to put up any album for others to listen to that they think is worth hearing, and it really shouldn't matter if it is old or new, and can be from and genre, to be honest there is so much out there no one is going to know everything that is put up.

By the way I like Hawkwind as well, I have most of their albums and have seen them 4 times, and met Stacia about 3 years, which was interesting.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well, I have this and several other APP albums because well, I thought I should, as they passed me by at the time. I’ll give it a few more listens, as to be honest I haven’t played it much. So, therefore for me, Album Club re-introduces me to this album, for better or worse.

Now, I have just checked my collection, and have no Hawkwind nor Velvet Underground - so an album from either of those would be broadening my horizons.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Well, I have this and several other APP albums because well, I thought I should, as they passed me by at the time. I’ll give it a few more listens, as to be honest I haven’t played it much. So, therefore for me, Album Club re-introduces me to this album, for better or worse.

Now, I have just checked my collection, and have no Hawkwind nor Velvet Underground - so an album from either of those would be broadening my horizons.
    Don’t forget to score it Alex, for better or worse. By the way start with Hawkwind Doremi Solfa Latido or X In Search of Space.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Don’t forget to score it Alex, for better or worse. By the way start with Hawkwind Doremi Solfa Latido or X In Search of Space.

I'm Edward.

APP released various LPs at the time I and a bunch of friends were actively listening and exploring music of a similar style (Supertramp, ELO etc) so IRobot formed part of that time and therefore has emotional appeal. Album very well recorded and mastered (not surprising given Alan Parson's background) and some great layered tracks. However lyrics somewhat overblown/pretentious and parts have very much a 'project' feel (the clue I guess is in the name). Various albums released in DSD format (including IRobot)which shows off the excellent recording/mastering that was done.

These days I tend not to listen to APP but for reasons mentioned above 7/10.

APP apparently are still touring.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Mark, you are muddling me with Barry, I am Adrian. Anyway the point I was trying to make is that in my view or understanding is the Album Club is for anyone to put up any album for others to listen to that they think is worth hearing, and it really shouldn't matter if it is old or new, and can be from and genre, to be honest there is so much out there no one is going to know everything that is put up.

By the way I like Hawkwind as well, I have most of their albums and have seen them 4 times, and met Stacia about 3 years, which was interesting.
    Sorry Adrian for mixing you up - I’ve edited the post. It was intended for you but I just (foolishly) used the name in the quote. By the way, I didn’t mean to use the term ‘prog’ to imply anything negative or dismissive (I’ve got loads of prog, Soft Machine, VDG Generator, Peter Hammill, King Crimson, etc.)

I’ve been cogitating on my views regarding ‘album club’ and my conclusion is that I misunderstood its purpose and rather than just being a vehicle to introduce new artists it is more for remembering artists that may have slipped by the listening wayside (as it were). If that is the case then I completely see the point of this APP suggestion and the previous Thomas Dolby and Edie Brickell. However, I think my greater mistake was to assume that all these artists are well known to everyone.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Ha, well you are in for a surprise/shock then because both are truly iconic groups and also nothing like each other! I’ve been ‘in to’ both bands since my teens and still love their music now. In some ways TVU have an advantage in that they have long since disbanded so their legacy is set. Hawkwind are still performing (still touring) and their current music is less to my taste.

Anyway, apologies for the digression, back to the Alan Parsons Project .
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast