View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 16.67%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 16.67%
  • 7/10

2 33.33%
  • 8/10

1 16.67%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

1 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club, December 2019: Alan Parsons Project - 'I Robot'

I'm Grant.

Interesting album. A bit sifi geek in style and inclined to flit all over the place at times. Its not going to grab me enough to make me love it, but after saying that it was pleasant enough for most part, considering it was perhaps a bit self admiring.
    Also, I had not knowingly heard it before so a plus.
    overall, a 7/10 I think. Maybe a tad high but there were aspects of it I liked..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

Apparently it was originally going to be a concept album (you have to admit that is a very prog trope) based on the ‘I, robot’ short stories (later compiled in to a book) by Issac Asimov. However, during the early stages the film rights for the book were sold and the APP had to rename the album by dropping the , and reworked some of the content so it was less literal to IA’s stories.

100% Analogue

I'm Martin.

I've just started to listen to this so will report back later with impressions and score. However, I just wanted to say that the last 3 albums were all totally new to me (although I did recognise 1 or 2 singles).
    I also highly rated the Thomas Dolby one because of the exceptional production and sound quality of the Spotify version.

On the other hand my offering 1Q next year is within the last 2 years and a first album release to boot!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Very ‘70s, all of the Alan Parsons Project’s outputs are superbly recorded and engineered audio extravaganzas, so it is not surprising they were often used as test discs at the audio shows.

I used to own a few: ‘Tales of Mystery and Imagination’; ‘The Eye in the Sky’ and ‘Ammonia Avenue’, and they were all LPs with which to show off one’s hi-fi to visitors.

Listening to ‘I Robot’, a recording that had passed me by at the time, I was again reminded of what attracted me to the Alan Parsons Project: interesting subject matter (some of the LPs are conceptual in idea, being based on books); superb recording; superb production; superb musicianship’ and the fun and games of spotting influences.

On hearing the reverse music of the opening track I thought “Ah Soft Machine” and thereafter heard influences of Floyd’s ‘Atom Hart Mother’; Emerson Lake and Palmer, and of the music of Györgi Ligeti.

Despite having intelligent and thought-provoking lyrics, I very much preferred the purely instrumental tracks here – as I do on all the APP records I have heard. Sounding very much of its time, and being a bit of a curate’s egg to my ears, I’m scoring it with an 8/10 – simply because I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. And because of that I re-listened to ‘The Eye in the Sky’ afterwards and wondered why I got rid of the few APP records I used to own!

Good choice Adrian.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Very ‘70s, all of the Alan Parsons Project’s outputs are superbly recorded and engineered audio extravaganzas, so it is not surprising they were often used as test discs at the audio shows.

I used to own a few: ‘Tales of Mystery and Imagination’; ‘The Eye in the Sky’ and ‘Ammonia Avenue’, and they were all LPs with which to show off one’s hi-fi to visitors.

Listening to ‘I Robot’, a recording that had passed me by at the time, I was again reminded of what attracted me to the Alan Parsons Project: interesting subject matter (some of the LPs are conceptual in idea, being based on books); superb recording; superb production; superb musicianship’ and the fun and games of spotting influences.

On hearing the reverse music of the opening track I thought “Ah Soft Machine” and thereafter heard influences of Floyd’s ‘Atom Hart Mother’; Emerson Lake and Palmer, and of the music of Györgi Ligeti.

Despite having intelligent and thought-provoking lyrics, I very much preferred the purely instrumental tracks here – as I do on all the APP records I have heard. Sounding very much of its time, and being a bit of a curate’s egg to my ears, I’m scoring it with an 8/10 – simply because I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. And because of that I re-listened to ‘The Eye in the Sky’ afterwards and wondered why I got rid of the few APP records I used to own!

Good choice Adrian.
    Great review Barry, interesting how we can move on and forget things we previously experienced and enjoyed. I have always kept listening to APP over the years a bit like a comfy slipper for me, I suspect I am a creature of habit. I find Manfred Mannis similar in how I feel when listening to them, although rather more progie. I have tried to find newer artists that do the same for me but none yet, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes

Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, Rothwell MCX SUT, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Sony 3d blu-Ray for CDs to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Tannoy Legacy Arden speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre, I think I am at audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123