+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartridgeman Isolator on a Rega arm - anyone experienced it?

I'm Geoff.

Maybe some like 'ruined sound'. Response anomalies can appeal....for the wrong reasons.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

I agree, the CM isolator is a fundamentally flawed product and any system fitted with one can be improved by removing it!
    Account Deleted

I'm Adam.

I’ve used one on a cartridge man music Master LE
    And I’ve used the cartridge without it too... tbh I’ll be buggered if I could hear what it was doing.. except for increasing the VTA fiddle factor
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I’ve used one on a cartridge man music Master LE
    And I’ve used the cartridge without it too... tbh I’ll be buggered if I could hear what it was doing.. except for increasing the VTA fiddle factor
    That was pretty much my experience using it with the DL103 - minimal change. For what it's worth it didn't stay ...

I'm Johan.

Try to set your TT no a shelf. Best way to stop feedback.

I'm Richard.

Gents. Lots of great info here. Thank you. I agree that it is unlikely to have any effect on the subsonics but having tried absolutely everything else I am clutching at straws. That said, the KAB filter is astonishingly effective and I replaced the bearing housing with a PEEK upgrade which has been helpful too. The KAB is active with a switchable cheap power supply so I’ll upgrade that next. Anyway, having read about the resonator around the www clearly some think it’s terrific, and Len presumably wouldn’t hang his formidable reputation on a suicidal hook. But there is nothing much positive expressed by some pretty learned turntablists on this thread so I will gladly park the idea. Beobloke’s absolute clarity is a cracker and a clincher! Thank you everyone for your input.
    Last edited by Kneesup; 30-11-2019 at 00:39.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd love to see a proper analysis of what the Isolator actually does, not what is claimed it does. A compliant pad between the cartridge and arm which is then rigidly coupled via the bolts makes no sense to me.
    The cartridge is fitted to the underside of isolator using double-sided sticky tape, with the upper surface fitted to the arm/headshell using the attached bolts.

https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/isolator_e.html

One could easily knock up something very similar if you have a few DIY skills for a lot less than the £100 asked!
    Last edited by Barry; 30-11-2019 at 00:53.
    Barry

I'm Richard.

Thanks Barry but I can also buy an equivalent from SRM for under £20. I think the material choice is probably key. Also it throws the VTA and all sorts and I don’t want the faff. Personally, I have no doubt that Len Gregory will have experimented majorly with materials and combinations which is why it is priced as it is. I’m not up for the R&D myself. If one of the learned turntablists - or a few ‘normal’ people - had raved about it I’d have taken a punt but I’m more than happy to forget it. Thanks for the input though.
    Last edited by Kneesup; 30-11-2019 at 10:30.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12