+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridgeman Isolator on a Rega arm - anyone experienced it?

I'm Richard.

Default Cartridgeman Isolator on a Rega arm - anyone experienced it?

In my ongoing mission to remove subsonics (now dealt with using an active KAB filter but the source clearly remains), I was considering buying a Cartridgeman Isolator for my RB303 arm (used with a 2M Black). The Isolator has a mixed reputation, working well with some arm/carts but not all. Has anyone experienced the Isolator on a Rega arm? At 5.5mm deep it will demand a big VTA hike (11.5mm total, so a bespoke shim build). And I’m worried about adding mass when the Ortofon 2M is a heavy cart anyway.

Can anyone recommend or put me off?

I’d also be interested if hearing from anyone has used one on an Audiomods arm.

Many thanks. Richard

I'm steve.

What are you trying to achieve by using one ? With quality of the Rega arm I doubt there’d be any benefit by adding any extra complication to the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Richard.

They are usually used on far superior arms to the Rega and far superior carts too. A RB303 (albeit much modded) and Ortofon 2M black is pretty basic fare compared to Cartridgeman product. I’m hoping to reduce my subsonic issues and enhance the sound, which is what they famously do. But oddly there is next to no reference on the www of them being used on a Rega arm...

I'm steve.

Everything is relative, a 2M Black is not a cheap cartridge in my book, likewise with Rega arms, the RB330 on my 2016 P3 is a superb arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

I've played with one with a Denon 103, it's an interesting idea that goes against all the normal theory of how arms and turntables are supposed to deal with resonance. No harm at all in giving it a go, the cartridgeman stuff is all high-ish compliance and the Ortofon more mid compliance but it may well turn out to be beneficial from a resonance perspective if you are getting a bit of glare at higher frequencies. As you say it's often used in higher-end settings than what you are looking at here.

I'm not sure it would have any impact at all on subsonics though - the foam in the isolator might well filter out higher frequency resonance, but it's not going to make a blind bit of difference to anything with hz in single figures.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only time I have heard decoupling a cartridge from the arm being of some benefit, was with the Decca Mk.V and VI cartridges, hence their use of the plastic mounting bracket. It seems counter-intuitive, especially considering the Linn philosophy of rigidly coupling cartridge to arm to turntable - but Deccas are a law unto themselves.

From appearances the Cartridge Man's cartridge decoupling device looks to be a very simple affair, and one that is easy to copy if you have some DIY skills, for considerably less cost.
    Barry

I'm William.

One thing you could try and that’s putting a PtFE washer between the headshell and the body of the cartridge in the front by using the mounting bolts. You will also need to place at the rear of the cartridge to stop it tipping up.

I have had good success with this idea and for very little outlay, you could even use nylon washers just to try. What this does is reduce the contact area of the cartridge to the headshell by the thickness of the washer thereby providing some isolation. It’s worth a try and easy to do.

Regards

I'm Steve.

I used a Cartridgeman moving iron cartridge with a Hadcock arm. The isolator was created to use with them and although I heard it i never bought one.

If you are having problems with subsonics I doubt this is the cure.

You'll need to give more information about your system and how it is positioned. Have you got the turntable next to the speakers or in a corner? Is your room full of soft furnishings or sparsely decorated? What is the turntable some of them need really good isolation to work properly.
    Thorens TD550, Ortofon 12", Ortofon Jubilee or Koetsu Black; Rothwell MCL SUT, VTL 2.5 pre, XTC POW 1 power; Naim CD5x; KEF Reference 3.2's; Van den Hul interconnects and speaker cables.

I'm Geoff.

I'd love to see a proper analysis of what the Isolator actually does, not what is claimed it does. A compliant pad between the cartridge and arm which is then rigidly coupled via the bolts makes no sense to me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

I’ve played with the isolator on a few arms and in every case it completely ruined the sound, particularly the bass. In one case I measured the frequency response of the cartridge with and without and it ruined that as well!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast