+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP NEEDED! Fitting MCRU PSU

I'm Nat.

Default HELP NEEDED! Fitting MCRU PSU

I bought a SL1200 with the PSU removed from the deck and placed into a seperate case. I've now bought the MCRU, LDA Linear PSU and so need to remove the decanted original PSU and connect the Linear. From what I gather from the enclosed instruction manual I'm going to have to solder a couple of wires.

Problem is I've never soldered before today. I do have a cheap soldering iron and a small pcb to practice on but am still wary of working on the deck.

Also do I have to remove the original PSU from it's seperate case, reinstall it and start from scratch with the new Linear supply or do I disconnect the whole thing and connect the new psu to the same place inside the deck.

Any help would be gratefully required.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I bought a SL1200 with the PSU removed from the deck and placed into a seperate case. I've now bought the MCRU, LDA Linear PSU and so need to remove the decanted original PSU and connect the Linear. From what I gather from the enclosed instruction manual I'm going to have to solder a couple of wires.

Problem is I've never soldered before today. I do have a cheap soldering iron and a small pcb to practice on but am still wary of working on the deck.

Also do I have to remove the original PSU from it's seperate case, reinstall it and start from scratch with the new Linear supply or do I disconnect the whole thing and connect the new psu to the same place inside the deck.

Any help would be gratefully required.
    No electronics experience?
    Find someone to do the job for you.

Nick Gorham made your new PSU, and I'm sure he'd fit it for you, for a fee.
    You'd need to send your TT to him, but at least you know the job will be done properly.
    You can contact Nick from here https://www.longdogaudio.com/
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mick.

Hi Nat

All the old stuff can be disconnected and does not need to be placed in the deck. The short wire with the ring on just bolts to the bottom left screw on the board. The longer wire is the only solder point that goes to the wire bridged connector in the diagram.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Nat.

Thanks Mick
    I’m pretty sure I can handle one solder joint (with practice) I’m a builder and am very good with my hands. I’ve built a few LP12’s though the PSU’s where always screw fit.

I'm Jostein.

MCRU at david@mcru.co.uk should also be able to send to the instructions for install. I got these with the LDA PSU for my Technics when I bought that a couple of years back.These have pictures for all installation steps.
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Nat.

I connected the PSU today and couldn't be happier worth every penny.

I'm Jostein.

Great to hear. Did you find it easy to ft to the turntable?
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Nat.

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    Great to hear. Did you find it easy to ft to the turntable?
    Very easy snip the old connecting wires, screw earth wire to corner of pcb and one solder joint.

I'm Mick.

I told you it was easy Nat
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread