+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chord Huei Phonostage, has anybody tried it?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Interesting. I've always thought that unless the source is balanced then anything downstream is only pseudo balanced (unless a balanced converting stage is used liked some TVCs). Does anyone know if you can get true balanced from a pick up cartridge?
    Virtually all pick-up cartridges are balanced in nature. Whilst there are several phonostages that have balanced outputs, the number that offer a balanced input can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Ironically, one of Chord's designs (now no longer made) offered the option for a balanced input.
    Barry

I'm Clive.

Further update. 1st of all my thanks go out to Paul at HiFi Lounge for loaning me the Chord Huei.
    I’ve spent the last 2days playing with it and even e-mailed Chord for advise re leaving it permanently powered on. They replied within an hour saying they generally advise switching it off as it warms up very quickly and also conserves electricity (sic). The issue I have with that is that my thick fingers found it difficult to reach behind to turn on/off with the very small power switch.
    The sound didn’t best my PS Audio NuWave phono converter and in fact having a detailed top end seemed to highlight surface noise, it was also slightly noisy, a problem the Nu-Wave doesn’t have.
    A very disappointing result as it does match my Chord Qutest but too many issues make this a flawed product for me.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Alan.

That's interesting, I thought it was supposed to be very low noise.
    Did you adjust the gain setting at all?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That's interesting, I thought it was supposed to be very low noise.
    Did you adjust the gain setting at all?
    Absolutely, tried 3 different settings.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12