+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Note OTO phono stage

I'm Martin.

Default Audio Note OTO phono stage

I am considering an OTO phono SE Signature but I am curious as to folk’s view of the phono stage. Does anyone have a view on how it compares or where it sits with regard to external mm stages?

Basically do I go that route or get the line version if the phono is relatively easily bettered?

To put it into perspective if I had to spend more than, say, £1000 to better what’s built in then I’ll get the built in version...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts....

I'm Philip.

I have owned an Oto SE. I found the phonostage to be good, I found it just as good as my WAD phono 2 that I also had at the time.
    I found the WAD better than a Heed Quasar (£1000).

It is certainly not included as a "make weight".

I'm Hugo.

I suspect that Andy Grove designed both the Oto and WAD phono circuits, which is definitely a Good Thing

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the info so far much appreciated.

Mods - I meant to create this elsewhere so not sure how I managed to put it into the analogue section......

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I suspect that Andy Grove designed both the Oto and WAD phono circuits, which is definitely a Good Thing
    Not sure who did the WAD circuit but I believe Claus Molgaard was behind the Oto design .

I know we are not in the DIY section but if the plastic "EKO" caps are replaced in the Oto ( both phonostage and linestage ) with something better ( I use AN copper ) then the Oto really sings .

I'm Retief.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    Not sure who did the WAD circuit but I believe Claus Molgaard was behind the Oto design .
    I think Andy Gove was behind the Oto

https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback...t-description/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Retief.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    I am considering an OTO phono SE Signature but I am curious as to folk’s view of the phono stage. Does anyone have a view on how it compares or where it sits with regard to external mm stages?

Basically do I go that route or get the line version if the phono is relatively easily bettered?

To put it into perspective if I had to spend more than, say, £1000 to better what’s built in then I’ll get the built in version...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts....
    I felt that the phono stage in my AN M3 phono was quite a bit better than a Croft RIAA R which goes for around £1000 I believe.

I have not compared the phono stage in the M3 to that in the Oto, so not sure if the comparison is fair, but just sharing my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Martin.

Thanks all for the further information.

+ Reply to Thread