+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DAC comparisons

Hibster_2000 Guest

Default DAC comparisons

Has anybody compared a SEG against a DAC Magic + or a Topping D50?
    If so, would you care to share your thoughts?

I am at the point of getting my upgraded SEG upgraded even more, but was wondering if a different flavour DAC would suit me better. I realise my ears are the ones that will have the final say, but before I go and buy either of the DACs with the intent of trying them and sending them back if I don’t like the,, I was wondering if it was worth the hassle to me and the online vendor?

I am most tempted by the DM+ with multiple coax inputs, but the topping is much cheaper.

The upgrades on the SEG are likely to be cheaper still, and basically will consiste of better RCA sockets and a super clock.
    If I à have time today I am going to rig up a different PC with a coax feed to the SEG and do a comparison of my Asus Essence DAC to the SEG fed from the SPDIF from an Asus motherboard. I have seen the audioscience review, which suggested the Asus DAC was not that good, but my ears tell me otherwise.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    I have seen the audioscience review, which suggested the Asus DAC was not that good, but my ears tell me otherwise.

Then let your ears decide. ASR is perhaps a baseline to go from but, for sure, don't choose a DAC based on scientific measurements that ASR put together alone. Your ears make the final decision, measuring instruments have no emotion.

Hibster_2000 Guest

Thanks for the response.
    I am curious by nature, and I am wondering if there is anything better out there for the money.

I'm gone.

Only just now noticed this thread.

If you are still interested in opinions, I have owned a SEG, DACmagic and a Topping D30 [not a D50 but very similar, I believe], but not an Asus.

The DACmagic is totally outclassed imo.
    The SEG and the D30 are about equivalent with the D30 being more analytical, the SEG more 'organic'.
    I'd expect a SEG superclock to give it a significant advantage.

But you've probably sorted yourself out by now.

I'm Alan.

The D50 is a good step up from the D30 Jerry.

I'm gone.

I know of one person who 'upgraded' from a D30 to a D50 and preferred and kept the D30!
    Maybe they didn't let the D50 run in for long enough?
    They have now got a D70 and are very happy with it.

I have no views on this, only having heard the D30.

I'm Chris.

I really like the look of the D70s. AES/EBU input and balanced outputs are very appealing to me. Plus I seem to get on with other Topping DAC's well. Bought another D30 off Jerry for a 2nd (4th....) system. Also heard Alan's D50 at the weekend and it was certainly an improvement over my 30. Some nice filter options on the D50/70s too.

I think all Topping DAC's are very good vfm. If you like the "neutral" house sound.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

Hibster_2000 Guest

Another one of interest is the Sabaj D5.
    Looks like a very well.designed DAC.

Has anybody got experience of one?

Hibster_2000 Guest

Are there any concerns about Chinese HiFi product longevity?
    Would I be better off spending a bit more for a DAC made by someone with better customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    Are there any concerns about Chinese HiFi product longevity?
    Would I be better off spending a bit more for a DAC made by someone with better customer service?
    Support can be a big issue with items bought directly from China. I have had some hilarious email exchanges with Chinese companies when seeking technical help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast