+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I know I shouldn't grumble but...

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

As for sentences and paragraphs - a news story isn't a school essay and paragraphs don't work that way in newspapers, in the tabloids particularly. What's most important there is the use of space, to assist in readability and clarity, rather than observing strict ideas about what a paragraph should and shoudn't be.
    No idea about the (sensational) tabloids, Tom, but the Times, D.T. and probably Grauniad should uphold some standards. The D.T. (is this the only broadsheet now?) has really let standards slip, but in all fairness, there's a heck of a lot of news etc. which is covered daily. Relying on spellcheck (or the Fleet St. equivalent) has obviated the need for good old proof-reading, it seems. However, it hasn't at all.

An old acquaintance, who later became editor of the Mirror, was quite fastidious about language, though he did say that it was more difficult for his journalists to dumb down reportage to suit the readership than it was for those for more upmarket newspapers.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    No idea about the (sensational) tabloids, Tom, but the Times, D.T. and probably Grauniad should uphold some standards. The D.T. (is this the only broadsheet now?) has really let standards slip, but in all fairness, there's a heck of a lot of news etc. which is covered daily. Relying on spellcheck (or the Fleet St. equivalent) has obviated the need for good old proof-reading, it seems. However, it hasn't at all.

An old acquaintance, who later became editor of the Mirror, was quite fastidious about language, though he did say that it was more difficult for his journalists to dumb down reportage to suit the readership than it was for those for more upmarket newspapers.
    Standards have certainly fallen across the board, I agree, since the 80s, for the reasons I mentioned above. Back then there were armies of people and limited space. There are now rather fewer people (or at least, fewer paid people) and acres of space to fill in what is now a 24h news cycle. Whether this has made us better or worse off I'm not sure - it does seem that the airwaves are far more crowded by people who have an agenda to push. There used to be far more skepticism in the media of this sort of spin but now of course the journalists join in - The Guardian in particular descends into what looks like self-parody most days now.

I have to say I would be very surprised to find an editor or former editor of The Mirror disparaging his title and his readers like that, using a phrase like dumbing down. I personally was happier as a broadsheet guy but that was partly for an easier life. In my experience it's far harder to turn out a quality tabloid than it is a broadsheet - it has to be far more snappily written, tighter, with more humour, less waffle and a far higher degree of creativity and variation from day to day.

People like to be proud of where they work and the degree of craft in the tabloids is something to be admired. If course this may not be understood by all, especially people whose instinct is snobbishness and who don't have the capacity to appreciate the skill involved.

My father was 27 years working for what was (then) the Mirror Group, though he started his career at the Daily Express back in the early 60s, when the Express was a major force in the news marketplace. Post music degree (which was fun but not exactly great for job prospects when I graduated at the height of the Thatcher recession in 1982) I followed him into journalism, before (it's a long story) moving into publishing systems and subsequently a very different career in IT and (post MBA) management consultancy. But I can tell you now nothing I ever did in my subsequent career as a whiteboard jockey or writer of corporate strategy reports was as mentally tough as my casual subbing shifts on The Sun.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    we did,the pair i have now are a different pair.
    You could PM me a price, there's the logistical problems as well though.

I'm Mike.

Hi Tom,

I've just fished out Richard's book 'Dogs and Lampposts' (2002) and didn't realise he's been Mirror editor twice as well as editor of the People and Today. Quite a career. I knew him best in the mid/later sixties when I used to pop round to his girlfriend's (Penny) flat for breakfast on occasion. He always called me Beard. Went to his amazing wedding (seventies?) where Dave Allen and the Searles brothers were guests among many journalists et al. Lost touch (my fault) sometime in the eighties. Still have his funeral invitation somewhere. He was always somewhat acerbic but obviously ambitious.

I'm Steve.

Pah....amateur

Any less than 5 pairs and the house feels empty.

I'm Chris.

Got me counting........yes,5. The PAWOs fell over onto the whizzer 'bullet' and broke them so threw them out.I'd made them from off-cuts of house cladding.

Ocella Calliope Grandis Silver Signatures. Zigmahornets by iMac (currently playing John Hiatt 'Live at Newport'*). Wharfedale 3090s via Blu-ray/Kuro.Mini Sandwiches on wardrobe via iDecco.
    Original Sandwiches stored away.
    *unlisted Ry Cooder appears on 2 tracks!
    Chris.

I'm Neds.

Lawrence, you haven’t mentioned anything more about those interesting looking stand mounts ? They look very beautifully finished

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Neds View Post
    Lawrence, you haven’t mentioned anything more about those interesting looking stand mounts ? They look very beautifully finished
    They're Mistral Bow speakers, a JV between a Chinese and a Western company. They were very nice, had a full bodied British kind of sound which I think the ABR at the back helped with. Considering the active driver was a 5" they were unbelievable really.

Someone bought them yesterday. I would have liked to keep them really but I just haven't got the room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789