+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I know I shouldn't grumble but...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    always made a good substitute for toilet paper did sun. certainly had a similar content when used
    Did you ever try to give the page 3 girl a bit of extra fake tan?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I read somewhere (probably apocryphal) that the guidelines for writers for the Sun were as follows:

Try to avoid using words having more than three syllables

Try to avoid having more than five words in a sentence

Try to avoid having more than seven sentences in a paragraph.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I read somewhere (probably apocryphal) that the guidelines for writers for the Sun were as follows:

Try to avoid using words having more than three syllables

Try to avoid having more than five words in a sentence

Try to avoid having more than seven sentences in a paragraph.

The rule on most newspapers (even broadsheets) is to use short words and simple sentences where possible, but five words a sentence wouldn't be practical in anything other than a haiku.

On The Sun as well as most tabloids it's normally one sentence per paragraph, very short first paragraph. So 12-15 words first par, 15-20 words subsequent paragraphs.

No more than seven sentences in a paragraph is about right for a long form book. On a tabloid news story (as opposed to something on the features pages) seven sentences might be a sensible maximum for the whole piece.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I did say it was probably apocryphal. The 3-5-7 rule seemed to be a bit too convenient, despite being memorable.

Haiku in the Sun?
    Now that's a strange idea
    To amuse readers
    Last edited by Barry; 29-11-2019 at 01:22. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Mike.

I wasn't aware of a word or sentence formula in anything. A sentence represents a different thought or aspect on the subject being discussed. A paragraph denotes a completely different subject area within the overriding theme or topic.

I only read one newspaper, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that (a) the writers are not fully educated in their supposed skill, and/or (b) nobody reads anything before it's published (proof-reading).

The election material hitting the doormat at increasing intervals nowadays suffers from either too many (erroneous) capital letters, poor syntax, starting sentences with a conjunction, poor punctuation or even missing words. I've given up red-inking this stuff nowadays, and no party is better than another. There's been an appalling degradation of written English over the past few decades, but it's not difficult to point the finger.

I received a 4 page newsletter today from the Labour Party. At least I thought it was, because the whole front page background was in red. It was actually from the Tories, so obviously colour blindness is an issue as well.

I'm Geoff.

Many use only text speak as their written communication now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I wasn't aware of a word or sentence formula in anything. A sentence represents a different thought or aspect on the subject being discussed. A paragraph denotes a completely different subject area within the overriding theme or topic.

I only read one newspaper, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that (a) the writers are not fully educated in their supposed skill, and/or (b) nobody reads anything before it's published (proof-reading).

The election material hitting the doormat at increasing intervals nowadays suffers from either too many (erroneous) capital letters, poor syntax, starting sentences with a conjunction, poor punctuation or even missing words. I've given up red-inking this stuff nowadays, and no party is better than another. There's been an appalling degradation of written English over the past few decades, but it's not difficult to point the finger.

I received a 4 page newsletter today from the Labour Party. At least I thought it was, because the whole front page background was in red. It was actually from the Tories, so obviously colour blindness is an issue as well.
    As someone who worked as a sub-editor for over 10 years (though not for the last 25 or so) I can say that most writers including big name ones are pretty poor on stuff like grammar, syntax, usage ... what a lot of reporters do have is the ability to go out, talk to people and get a story back. That and writing are not the same skill. Sub-editors save writers from looking ridiculous, day in, day out.

Unfortunately the sub-editing function has been severely hit by spending cuts. An example - when I worked on the Daily Record in Glasgow it sold 800,000 copies a day and commanded sky high advertising rates. It now sells about 150,000 on average and rates have fallen through the floor. It also employs about 20% of the editorial staff that it used to employ. This has hit quality drastically as many of the cuts were made on the various subs' desks.

Combine that with the fact that pay has fallen pretty hard - a senior journalist now gets less than I was earning in the early 90s. Not in 'real terms' ie adjusted for inflation, but in actual pound notes - and the fact that the young people who can afford to work for these kind of salaries are so poorly educated in the basics of English these days, and you get ever-falling standards of English.

There are additional factors relating to the online world: not only are people are simply less careful when writing for online consumption, but many newspapers divert staff to censorship duty - making sure nothing untoward appears below the line in the comments section - that would once have been devoted to making sure standards in the actual paper were up to snuff.

Sub-editing is not proof-reading BTW. Subs at least in the old days spent a long time re-writing copy and creating snappy headlines. That has given way to much lighter-touch on-screen editing. Proof reading happens once the page is already typeset, ie already a proof.

As for sentences and paragraphs - a news story isn't a school essay and paragraphs don't work that way in newspapers, in the tabloids particularly. What's most important there is the use of space, to assist in readability and clarity, rather than observing strict ideas about what a paragraph should and shoudn't be.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 29-11-2019 at 17:05.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    many use only text speak as their written communication now.
    smh nvm lmk @teotd 2mor:d
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I thought we discussed these a while ago but you sold them to someone else?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    we did,the pair i have now are a different pair.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I did say it was probably apocryphal. The 3-5-7 rule seemed to be a bit too convenient, despite being memorable.

Haiku in the Sun?
    Now that's a strange idea
    To amuse readers
    Truth in the sun?
    Now that’s a strange idea
    To the 96
    Cambridge audio cxc,CCA Spotify premium
    Beresford seg,dorado,supercap and clock mods
    Dcb1 750ma pre
    Quad QSP power
    Monitor Audio silver 8i
    Kimber powerkords,4vs speaker cable,pbj and Klotz mc5000 interconnects.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast