+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I know I shouldn't grumble but...

I'm Mike.

They were short of a speaker in the H of C. until recently. I really don't know how/why people can collect so many of these not so tiny transducers, nor make a definitive choice as to which has the best synergy with their amplification etc. I hate kit lying about not being used. My friend has lots of kit; some quite upmarket, with systems in almost every room in his 3 bed house. He lives alone and rarely has visitors, so it's not as if this kit is used at all.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have a lot of "upmarket" kit lying around, unused. I keep it as back up, as I can't bear to be without music. There are two systems in my house: the main one and a second for AV duties.

There are others here with a lot of gear listed in their signature.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    They were short of a speaker in the H of C. until recently. I really don't know how/why people can collect so many of these not so tiny transducers, nor make a definitive choice as to which has the best synergy with their amplification etc. I hate kit lying about not being used. My friend has lots of kit; some quite upmarket, with systems in almost every room in his 3 bed house. He lives alone and rarely has visitors, so it's not as if this kit is used at all.
    I only tend to keep a pair of speakers for a few weeks unless it's a "keeper". Which is currently defined as one I keep for 3-6 months but one lives in hope of a genuine pair of keepers. Which is possibly going to be the A2s or Ref Model 2s. But I've said such things before...

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oh, okay - I’m afraid none of those would be on such a shortlist if I were in your shoes though.
    In reply tot the post to which this was a reply;

The amount of time available for listening surely is not a factor, however big or small that may be, what matters is the quality of experience when you re listening.

I'm Dennis.

That is a stance I cannot understand, I would, especially as I am living alone, want one best possible system - with no other person to consider the needs of.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    In reply tot the post to which this was a reply;

The amount of time available for listening surely is not a factor, however big or small that may be, what matters is the quality of experience when you re listening.
    Well if you have young children and work full time you don't have much time left to do any listening, and when you do it tends to be after 10pm at a low volume. So I'm not going to spend thousands when that's all the use they get. Saving for a replacement for my leaky asbestos garage, or a loft conversion so my son doesn't have a tiny box room for a bedroom when he gets older, has to take precedence.

Last edited by Lawrence001; 26-11-2019 at 19:01.

I'm Lawrence.

Monitor Audios sold, bids on the TDLs on eBay, now to shift these standmounts...

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    That is a stance I cannot understand, I would, especially as I am living alone, want one best possible system
    My stance or my friend's, Dennis? we both have top-notch main systems, but whereas I have a very modest office and kitchen system (tuner based only), he has CDPs, Epos + other speakers, Nait 1 and 2, 01 tuners and the like in a bedroom which is never occupied. as well as his bedroom, office and kitchen; oh, yes, quite a dandy outfit in his dining room too. He lives alone. Of course, his Naim stuff has actually appreciated. If anything goes in my main system, I'm snookered.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Well if you have young children and work full time you don't have much time left to do any listening, and when you do it tends to be after 10pm at a low volume. So I'm not going to spend thousands when that's all the use they get, saving for a replacement for my leaky asbestos garage, or a loft conversion so my son doesn't have a tiny box room for a bedroom when he gets older, has to take precedence.

I still do not understand because if something one values is rarer, then surely we want to maximise the experience.
    I of course respect your concern and care for your son.

I'm Dennis.

My stance or my friend's, Dennis? we both have top-notch main systems, but whereas I have a very modest office and kitchen system (tuner based only), he has CDPs, Epos + other speakers, Nait 1 and 2, 01 tuners and the like in a bedroom which is never occupied. as well as his bedroom, office and kitchen; oh, yes, quite a dandy outfit in his dining room too. He lives alone. Of course, his Naim stuff has actually appreciated. If anything goes in my main system, I'm snookered.
    Sorry, ,brief and ambiguous, personally I regard music as a high quality and dedicated experience, rather than a side show to other events, and hence I devote dedicated time to it and maximise that experience.

Spreading resources must necessarily compromise the quality of a system, and hence the experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast